Dent Balls

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by TotalEclipse, Apr 18, 2005.

1. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
    A quick question, What's the best material to make dent balls from?
    I have seen them in stainless steel and hardened steel.
    I like the idea of stainless but has anyone had problems with them?

2. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Well, just a thought. Stainless is non-magnetic, so if you planned on using the balls and magnets, steer clear of the stainless.
    gregc

3. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
    Nah, i'm talking more the threaded style balls to go on rods.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    :whistle:

5. Ai_Dygress

Ai_Dygress Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2005
    IL
    This thread screams for response, but .....

Its overly obvious of what the conotation can be.

Mr Laureano has it right..

:stars:

6. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
    Oh grow up guys!!!!!!! ;-)

7. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I am not a trumpet tech, but I am a machine repairman. I would stay away from stainless. I have friends that build street rods and show bikes and every time they have used stainless bolts or nuts [because you can polish them and make it look like chrome],the bolts and nuts if put under any strss at all, the threads stretch and the bolts deform. Stainless is not a strong metal like most people think so I personally would go with hardened steel. If a qualified horn tech has better info please post, I do not want to miss lead anyone. also there are many grades of stainless and some stainless even rusts. old geezer Dave

8. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Yeah, rusty dent balls are a b*tch.

:sorry:

9. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
    Yeah low grade SS rusts real good (302,301)
    I have plenty of 431 grade stainless that I am thinking of using, I'm just not looking forward to threading it!

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I reckon I'd have to ask "Why use stainless?" After all, mild steel is easily machineable and still so much harder than brass that it would seem to me to be a more obvious choice if you are making your own. If you happen to be able to "lay your hands on" a nice set of stainless balls (perhaps from a bankrupt bearing retailer?) then of course that's what you'd go with. But I do agree, it's going to be a royal pain in the backside to try to drill and thread those things.

In any case, tool steel or machine steel is what you'd have if you used ball bearing balls; stainless is notoriously poor at fatigue resistance (not an issue for your use but one reason why it isn't used for bearings). Reckon you could take a set of machine steel balls, have them annealed (softened), then machine and thread them followed by a quick retempering.

Or maybe just see if you can buy a set from Ferree's Tools and save a lot of headache.