Dent in trumpet bell, is repair required?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ap001, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    I dropped my trumpet on accident and now the bell has a somewhat large dent in it. I have attached 3 pictures of the dent from different views. Is repair of this dent required or can I just leave the dent? The trumpet still sounds fine.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. testonilo

testonilo New Friend

Dec 6, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Well, what do you think? Do you want your trumpet to sound like that? look like that? feel like that? Seems like its all up to you, pardner. Ya think?

3. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    If it plays the same as before (or to your satisfaction), there's no reason to get it fixed unless you want to.

4. stricd

stricd New Friend

Oct 19, 2010
    Dents tend to multiply on ugly, beat up horns. Get it fixed, and try to take good care of your horn.

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    ...And that's the ugly truth. It doesn't make any difference in the sound, but every time you put the trumpet to your lips, what do you see? Bite the bullet. It is not an expensive repair. Even if you can't schedule a repair for a week or two, schedule it as soon as possible. You'll be glad you did.

6. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Personally I would get it fixed, not just for cosmetic (and re-sale) reasons but also because I tend to form a connection with my trumpet, and if it's damaged it just doesn't sit right with me. For the same reason, I swab out the leadpipe, oil the valves and wipe it down after every single session. It's very meditative...

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I second Ed's recommendation. You will quickly tire of answering the incessant questions, "Did you play baseball with it?" and "Did your mom hit you over the head with it?", etc.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Fix it, and take care of it!

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I love when I get bells that look like that at work.

10. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    I want an honest answer please. I am just a guy who is tight on cash and I all want to know is does a dent like this affect tone quality, intonation etc and is a repair REQUIRED?
    Thank you all!