Dent in trumpet bell, is repair required?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ap001, Jan 4, 2011.

1. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    The bell is what really helps define a trumpet sound... For instance the Bach Strad you have there has bells 37, 43, 72, (65, 25, 38) and this is just Bb from just Bach.

(Correct me on this) but some people speculate that some of those legendary Committee trumpets were amazing because (in part) of the bell taper.

I'd like to think that it affected your tone in some way or another, but not in a way that you'd notice. I don't know.

Go get it fixed...?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  2. jmichaelhurt

jmichaelhurt Pianissimo User

Jul 18, 2010
    The trumpet police aren't gonna come after you if you don't get it fixed but you'll look like a tool with a horn like that. You don't see pros playing on horns that look like that and it definitely happens to them. They get their horns fixed as soon as they can because it does affect, not only the sound, but how they appear as well. Bite the bullet and get the horn repaired. You're looking at a repair that should cost under $40.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I believe that everything effects the sound. I would think it will effect the tuning a little too. If the wave is out of the pipe sooner, doesn't that make the trumpet shorter? You added stress to the brass too. Every time you play you will see it making you stressed. Aren't we supposed to relax when we play?

I don't know what brand trumpet it is. The better the trumpet, the more you will notice it.

4. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    The trumpet is just an entry level Bach TR710

5. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    Also I'm not a professional, I'm just a 9th grader that needs to get an A in class.

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    It seems like you have already made up your mind not to get it fixed.

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Show your teacher that you mean business. Get it fixed play better and get an A

8. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011

I haven't made up my mind. I just do not want to put the money into a trumpet unless the trumpet prohibits me from playing in tune or somethings like that. So does a dent like this do that?

9. ColinWhite

ColinWhite Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2010
    East Lansing, MI
    It's not a crippling trauma if you can hardly tell the difference. If you're alright with the way it plays, then there is no real need to get it fixed.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yes - that "dent" (it's actually a buckled crease) will absolutely affect the resonance and sound of the bell whether you think it is or not. You need to get it repaired. Fortunately that one should be fairly easy for a good brass tech who knows their stuff.