Dent in trumpet bell, is repair required?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ap001, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    What would you estimate the cost of this type of repair is?
    How much affect will it do?

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Depends on the tech - anywhere from $40 to $80 is my estimation, and it will affect it a lot.

3. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    Why can I not hear this effect of the buckled creasing?

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I don't know - maybe you don't yet have a developed enough sound that you'd even feel or hear the difference, but trust me, it's there. In my opinion, it needs to be repaired, and if it was mine, I'd pony up the cash to do it.

But hey, what do I know? If you don't want to spend the money to get your screw up repaired then don't.

Why don't you read this article and then tell me if you still believe that it doesn't make a difference.

http://vanadium.rollins.edu/~tmoore/Bell_vibrations_1.htm

Do you really think your bell will be able to vibrate with those symetrical nodal patterns with that huge ugly buckled crease in it?

Question: with so many people on here telling you that it should probably be repaired, are you waiting to get the answer you want to hear because you don't want to spend money on it? Are you trying to convince yourself that it doesn't matter or affect anything?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  5. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    Okay, I will try and convince my parents to take me to a repair shop and pay the money. I do not hear a difference at all but what do I know, I've only been playing trumpet for 3 years...

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Pat,

Why did he believe you and not me?:lol:

7. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    I believe both of you, but I just needed a second opinion that actually has a reason to it.

8. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    No I'm not waiting for my answer, I just want to know why no one senses any difference in sound when they hear me play my trumpet, and then you still say it affects a lot?

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Exactly, which brings me back to the idea that maybe your sound and chops are not yet developed enough that you'd hear or feel a difference. I'm not trying (well, not much anyway) to be a jerk about it - it just is what it is. Me? I've been playing trumpet for 30 years and have a developed, consistent sound - I would DEFINITELY hear and feel the difference. In fact, I dropped my Strad one time on accident (I was trying to carry too many things and had my horn hanging from the bell crook from a finger and it slipped off) and creased the bell during my time as an Army bandsman (my personal horn - not an issue horn) and I could immediately feel and hear the difference, and mine was nowhere near that bad.

I don't think dents further back are nearly as detrimental as a bell flare crease though.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  10. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    What is your horn? If it's a $100 horn, maybe it's not worth fixing. Is it a Strad? Xeno? Then yeah for sure get it fixed.