Dent in trumpet bell, is repair required?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ap001, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011

I'm looking at WWBW and their USED strad is close to $2000, I can't afford that and neither can my parents.

2. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    I'm looking at WWBW and their USED strad is close to $2000, I can't afford that and neither can my parents.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    A lesson I have learned. Get what you have fixed, it is called maintenance.

If I were you, I would pay Mum and Dad back by doing some chores around the house, washing up, washing and cleaning the car, gardening, setting the table for dinner etc. Get an agreed time to do the chores and just do it. For me, I paid $30.00 for my first horn, and it looked pristine when I traded it back for my second horn; got my full $30.00 back. I worked 2 weeks school holidays in a lumber yard carting wood for that horn, Mum and Dad bought the second horn - a Selmer Super Sterling. It was kept well, as have all my horns since. Any dent or horn issue should be fixed ASAP, by an experienced Tech.

Don't think of a trumpet as a disposable item. It should be in your hands, or in its case.

A big dent like that needs to be fixed. You have had good advice from some very experienced players here. That is a Big Crease Dent, and it does affect the sound from the front of the horn.

All the best for 2011 and your playing.

4. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    Okay I will get them to repair it, but would a entry level TR710 be able to get me through high school?

5. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    I have also found a trusted shop for brass instruments repair and they charge $50 an hour. Is that a reasonable rate and how much time would it take for an experienced tech to take this crease out of my horn?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    AP,
    to be honest, the issue here is not the horn. To be successful at anything in life, there has to be a certain amount of pride. Every time that you put the trumpet to your lips, you are saying something. If what you are saying is worth listening to, then you start to build an audience. Real people are the audience and what they see affects what they hear too. If your audience SEES something wrong, they will project that onto your playing too.

I think your current attitude will not get you through high school on the trumpet. If you really cared, the question would have been "I smashed the bell, don't have much money, what are my options?". There should have been no doubt in your mind that this needs to be fixed. Instead, we get the impression that you could be happy with a trashed horn if someone said that it was OK.

I'll say it. On that horn, the differences are very small in how it sounds with or without the dent. Your playing and attitude after 3 years does not seem to demand more, so save your parents the money. You will probably quit due to lack of interest anyway. I am not trying to take away business from the tech, I really got the feeling that you don't care what your musical "signature" is.

I firmly believe that our attitude is 90% of playing. 5 percent is natural talent and 5% is luck by having the right parents, teachers and playing opportunities.

If you understood what I just posted, then you know what to do. I advocate the local tech. Having local friends in the industry builds relationships that are good for us. A tech that you can talk to will give you far more than a wrinkle free bell.

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Take up trumpet repair as a hobby.

My first musical instrument was a standup bass with a broken neck the school didn't want to pay to fix and couldn't resell.

I fixed it played it for a couple of years, then flipped it.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    A couple of things - first off, the TR-710 could certainly get you through HS - the question then becomes whether or not you have developed as a player to a point where you'd actually benefit from a entry level pro to full pro level trumpet.

As for the repair, they'll probably charge you for a full hour. It will not take that long to fix that crease - at least not based on what I've seen my friend do with trumpet bells. He'd probably spend around 5-10 minutes on it. What you are paying for is less about the time as it is the know-how and expertise of someone who actually knows how to roll out that crease without altering the original shape of the bell.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Doesn't seem like you'll presently be able to use mutes if you don't get it repaired! It certainly doesn't appear to me to be a complex repair for a competent tech ... and not all that expensive. Really boils down to the tech having the right bell mandrel for your instrument, and if I had such, even I believe I could repair it.