Dent in trumpet bell, is repair required?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ap001, Jan 4, 2011.

1. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Probably not too important:
    YouTube - Frank Nelson's Crumpled Cornet

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here is the important question. Can it hold a Harmon Mute? [Or any other kind of mute for that matter]. You will be at a disadvantage for playing jazz if you cannot use a Harmon, AND if playing in an orchestra, there will be a time where a part calls for a muted trumpet. If it cannot fit a mute properly, the bottom line is to get it fixed.

3. joe1joey

joe1joey Piano User

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    I think you've gotten honest answers. It has been suggestions from others that you're looking to make a decision from. One suggestion was to do as you felt best. That answers everything as you have the trumpet and your ears to make a personal determination. Another suggestion voiced by more than one member is to take care care of the horn as it is possibly affecting you as its 'partner' in the music making. You even been told flat out in answer number 5 it doesn't affect your sound. What are you looking for, approval not to try to effect a repair and be applauded and join in pitying you as well?

4. joe1joey

joe1joey Piano User

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    You were much kinder in getting to the point with this young gentleman than I was...and SPOT ON.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Joe1joey... Thanks much for your interest in this problem, but let's let a dead horse lie. This thread is now almost 3 years old and the OP is long gone.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    [​IMG]

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Man, I'd hate to see what happened to the horse!!

8. joe1joey

joe1joey Piano User

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    My mistake...I can see by the continued effort at making the point that I should be ashamed. By the way, what are you guys doing here?

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I just finished a gig, and haven't gone to bed for 48 hours, so instead of making some bone head error on my medical patients, decided to spend all my time today on TM until I eventually pass out from exhaustion, with is hard for a physician to do since we are so use to being wakened up by nursing calls throughout the night, to which I always respond, "just catheterize the patient's bladder and insert a rectal tube". My patients are actually quit glad I am spending my day on TM. Reminds me, I do have to put in a call to Vulgano Brother's home care nurse.