Dent removal

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by BrassBandMajor, Jun 11, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well, I'm back. Back in getting interested in repairing.
    I've got a practice bell here. A Barth Sttugart Bell quite oldish bell.
    LOTS of Dents, dings and a tiny bell crease and a 5 angle tilt.
    I've got a drumstick too.
    But I don't know how to remove dents.
    Can someone tell me how to do it?

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
  3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    What is the name of that hammer?
    BTW I don't have that steel rod thing.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    The English names for the tools used (correct me if I'm wrong, Jon) are planishing hammer and hand wheeling machine (or English wheel).

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I've cut/sanded 2X4's to get a kinda "mandrel" and used my ball peen hammer with some success, work slowly and methodically and it will happen. Only problem I have is getting deep into the bell and I haven't yet come up with something for the crooks but I did use a drum stick to push a dent out of a first slide crook and it worked ok

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Sometimes I wonder if some of your threads are created with the intent of pulling our legs.

How do you remove dents? Not with a drumstick, for starters. It's not "difficult" but from what I know about it from my friends who do brass repair, it's more than just a matter of having the right tools - there's a knack to it as well, so it takes a practiced hand. Starting on an old bell that doesn't matter so much is a great way to start, but I think that researching and acquiring the proper tools for the job is your best bet moving forward.

7. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I assumed the drumstick was for making more dents! :-)

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I can agree with trickg, no matter what one does with the correct tools it takes time and tons of practice to know how to use and apply them with success. Tools don't make the tradesman but rather his abilities. Just as I believe someone can learn to play on their own so to can they learn to repair, but the road will be a lot longer and bumpier. Take notes on what you do and the outcome. We learn through struggle

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    One of the two very small dings in my Schilke B6 came from a drumstick - I was messing with our drummer one gig, adding crashes here and there, and on my follow through, just barely tapped my B6 on the bow of the bell. Apparently that was Karma for me messing with him in the first place!