Dent removal

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by BrassBandMajor, Jun 11, 2015.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    [​IMG]

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Hammers have no place on 98% of bell flare dents.

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Even WITH the correct tools ($2500.00 worth to date) I'm still learning after 6 years....

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you are messing around, that youtube above shows you some things that you should buy or DIY. I do not assume that you would tackle a critical instrument without experience.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    My first repair tool I started with was a 3"x1" engine piston pin, with this I was able to successfully remove dents in a bell down as far as I could reach, next was an assortment of steel balls from 1/4" to 1" from a bearing supplier, softened, drilled and threaded to fit a selection of steel rods of various diameters and lengths.

Next I purchased an economy set of dent olives, flexible driver and small planishing hammer from Votaw Tools, cost around $500, small hand held gas torch $100 from local jewellers supplies. These are the only tools I have purchased. I have made several tapered mandrels of various lengths and tapers from scrap steel bar I have scrounged, a 2 handed roller and simple wooden jig to hold a trumpet while soldering.

I have had a good relationship over 30 years with a repairman who has been willing to let me watch him at work and discuss techniques with me (answer stupid questions).

Regards, Stuart.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    While I don't want to recommend using a drumstick, Note that the drumstick method has been used by many in the past- sometimes when other equipment wasn't available. I've seen a master repairman push a couple of dents out in the field with one. Looked brand new. Of course, he could have probably used anything. It really becomes more of an art. Proper equipment is always best. (I just commented on the book, Zen and the art of motorcycle maintanence in another post, but seems to relate here.

7. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I used a drumstick my self, and it works like this tool: N71 French Horn Dent Rod 1/2†(12.7mm), 3ft (.91mm) “S†Curve – Ferree's Tools Inc I had some types that I could bend to the right curve, and when it was straight it worked like the drumstick. But I can't remember using a drumstick on bells.

8. Comet1995

Comet1995 Pianissimo User

Aug 4, 2014
    Liberty MO
    You need a heck of a lot more than a drum stick. Thats for sure.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I popped a brace off my Scherzer piccolo while trying to remove a dent with the handle of a wooden spoon. The bell angle moved about 15 degrees.