Dental Hygiene and Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Feb 17, 2012.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    This is of course true, but, The student is always more pleasant to be in close proximity to in the lesson, if he/she has recently brushed his/her teeth with a good toothpaste. I have no intent in changing my routine.

OLDLOU>>

2. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    A little harsh? penalising someone for not bringing a toothbrush to a lesson? And what kind of students do you have that never brush their teeth that their mouths get so deadly they would rot out a leadpipe? Are they really old instruments or something? Do they not clean their trumpets?

3. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Think about it...if the front of your teeth were so gnarly with crud that they were severely abrading the inside of your mouth, you'd be in constant, total agony, you'd be continually bleeding, then you'd get all infected and eventually die. What would happen before that would be gingivitis, and bleeding gums, and teeth would start falling out....nasty.

....Either way, you'd eventually die. Yes...neglecting your dental health can and will definitely kill you...which pretty much affects trumpet playing.

....And, I see absolutely nothing harsh about requiring students to brush.....kinda like going to the orthodontist....except the ortho usually provides cheap, disposable brushes.

I gotta say....IMO, flossing and a rinse is probably more important to do before playing....that's where all the real nasty particles are hidden. (yuk!)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Ok, good answers, I was thinking maybe microabrasions, which can happen from rough teeth fronts (I didn't honestly remember that plaque is soft, so I thought they MIGHT equate). Thanks all for your replies

5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Hygiene is so important. Playing the trumpet may be one of the main reasons we still have our teeth.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    My dentist has a sign in his office that says "brush and floss only the teeth you want to keep."

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

My students are middle and high school pupils who usually have just had their dinner,( during the week ), or their breakfast or lunch on the weekends. They all brush upon rising in the morning and call that good enough for the day. I had one girl show up eating a Big Mac and expecting to start her lesson immediately because she had a bwaiting in his car for her, and her trumpet lesson was just an unwanted delay for her session with him.

AS to the horns being cleaned; have you ever tried to get ALL of your students to spend some bathtub time with their horn? Trust me, it takes a LOT of effort to get them to do this once per year. Kids take trumpet lessons because their parent, band directors demand it or, on the rare occasion, they actually want to get better.

OLDLOU>>

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Mark,
    here is another thought (I have always brushed my teeth, because my Mom, more or less conditioned me to do that when I was a youngster) -- no that wasn't my thought -- but here it is!!!!!! when I went to Phil Driscoll concerts back in the 90's --- Phil told us about a concert he was in (London Philharmonic) or something like that -- anyways a decent concert, and one of the trumpet players "HAD A MALFUNCTION IN HIS VALVE" --- I don't remember details on when he got it fixed (and you would think a pro would know better) -- but Phil exclaimed that the whole problems was a piece of food in the guys horn -- because he hadn't brushed his teeth before the concert!!!!!!!!!! ----- of course Phil said ----"remember that", and "don't be the one who does that"!!!!!!!!!!!!
    so "FOOD PARTICLES" can lodge in the valves -- I mean that was probably a freak accident -- but just the same!!!!!!!!!!