Dental Work - I'm getting a Crown...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonterman, Jun 13, 2009.

1. jonterman

jonterman Pianissimo User

Jan 4, 2009
    Hi,

I'll be getting a crown put in for one of my rear molars...can anyone share their experience with playing and the whole crown experience (temporary crown, etc).

Has anyone played through getting a crown? Am I just out of luck during this process?

Any experience shared would be helpful!

Regards,

Jon

2. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    I had a crown put on one of my eye teeth and it made no difference whatsoever. I would think a molar would not be a problem either. Of course you will not be able to play well until the freezing wears off.

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Got a double crown (on two neighbour molars) with the whole process (temporary crown and so on) : absolutely no problem to go on playing trumpet all the time.

4. Hoosier303

Hoosier303 Pianissimo User

Nov 2, 2008
    Indiana
    I have one on the bottom back and had no problem.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I had a post and crown put in, never had any problems.

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Crown's and it seems like I have had a million, cause no problems other than your basically shot for one day.

7. jonterman

jonterman Pianissimo User

Jan 4, 2009
    Thanks, everyone seems to agree. Its a 3 week process between prep and crowning where I would wear a temporary crown. I was worried I wouldn't be able to play during this time.

I feel better, now I wont put it off anymore!

8. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    The main thing in the interim period is to make sure you don't eat anything that will dislodge the tempory. Usually the dentist will say not to eat anything excessively sticky, like a caramel apple or the like. Playing won't bother it. I have had quite a few crowns with no playing problems. They only procedure that affected playing for a while was when I had a front upper bridge made for 2 teeth.
    The adjoining teeth were shaved to posts , but the temporary bridge didn't work out too well, often coming loose when trying to eat or play. No problem after the work was done.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too had a crown done - it is impossible to drink a beer straight after dental work - the corners of your mouth (you know the bits you pull in when you play) leak, a lot.

As to trumpet playing, well just wait for the anesthetic to wear off - that's all. :D

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Take your mouthpiece and buzz a couple notes when they fit the crown just to make sure that nothing rubs.