Dental Work - I'm getting a Crown...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonterman, Jun 13, 2009.

1. jerec576

jerec576 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2009
    Miami, Fl
    A crown is a just a very, very thin covering of (most commonly gold although silver alloys have been used) onto one of your teeth. I don't see how this can impact anything when it comes to our playing, now maybe if your tooth was partially destroyed and your used to playing with this very minute change in the airstream. I would see no problems with dental crowns.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jerec,
    our playing is based on so many minute things that even a slightly smoother surface on a tooth could cause an avalanche. A crown can be much more substantial than what you are talking about. I think your definition fits better for "caps". The crowns can be ceramic too. In any case they conduct temperature differently too and that is noticable.

It is good to hear that many TMers have not had any serious issues.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Jerec,

I have a couple of crowns - the result of not seeing a dentist as a young bloke - has not caused my playing to deteriorate. I don't reckon it has caused much improvement - but it certainly hasn't caused me any problems. Temp changes are not something I notice except when I eat ice cream, though. ROFL

Best of luck.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  4. jerec576

jerec576 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2009
    Miami, Fl
    Rowuk,

I believe you mean veneers? Then again, iI am still sure that the mere feel of the inside moth to someone could impact their playing, just didnt see an impact on sound resulting from a *crown* merely being placed on a tooth, unless it was a restoative enamel and then a crown ontop of that resulting in a completely different tooth!

5. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I'll let you know in a week or so, when the last few crowns come back from the lab after adjustments. I had every tooth in my mouth crowned, and missing ones replaced with bridges, because of excessively worn enamel. So far, it feels very different, but doesn't seem to have much effect on my playing. Before that, I had four crowns for years, and they made no real difference.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Over the years I've had 4 crowns put in with no problems. The only thing was after the temp crown was installed I would wait a couple of days after the novacaine wore off. Then play as normal. Of course they were all molars. Work on my front teeth was a different story.

7. jerec576

jerec576 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2009
    Miami, Fl
    Woah man! Im just barely wondering why you needed all teeth crowned!

8. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    In my case, the enamel was almost completely worn off the back sides of my teeth - something you can look forward to as you, too, become an old coot. When that happens, they're going to start failing. You can attack the problem only so many ways. Since I had also lost some teeth over the years, I opted for a full restoration job. That required a few months of periodontal treatments to get everything in top shape before any dental work. Then in one very long day in the chair, every tooth I had left was ground down to a small stub suitable for mounting a crown, temporary crowns and bridges were made and installed, and one post was installed for an implant. It's only money, right? Besides, what would I do with a trunk full of Monettes?

Well, the upper teeth are all permanent now, and about 1/3 of the lower ones are permanent. The rest of the temporaries will be replaced some time next week, after the lab makes some adjustments to improve bite contact.

It feels very different, of course. The feel when biting or chewing is completely strange, and it'll take a good while to learn just how much pressure to use for various foods, since there's little sensation to guide me. Simply having teeth where none had been for years feels strange, as well. The good news is, though, that it seems to have made no difference at all in my playing. A vintage "F" trumpet had arrived shortly before my appointment a couple of days ago, and I tried it out very briefly with the temporary crowns still in place. Yesterday, a proper mouthpiece for it arrived, and I gave it more of a workout. I'm still not pushing anything, because my jaws are still sore from a few hours of dental work on Wednesday, but as far as affecting playing at all, going from natural teeth to all crowns and bridges doesn't seem to have changed anything at all.

9. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    This is something that I would like to discuss and it was originaly posted in another thread by mistake

how important is a teeth alignement for the embochure. I ask this because all good trumpet players seem to have straight well maintained teeth, well all except for one; chet baker who even missed few teeth; look at this vid (in particular at 0:28, you will notice right upper front tooth missing maybe even two):

YouTube - Chet Baker Live (Belgium 1964) : Time After Time

I wonder how did he set his chops up without teeth? Was he always missing teeth? He seem young here, was it some accident or pure negligance?

I ask this also because my front teeth are not really perfectly aligned and sometimes when my lips swell I can feel that slight imperfection (more like assymetry because my left nr1 upper teeth is maybe 2mm behind right one, very slight imperfection but I can still feel it, sometimes can be annoying

10. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    According to his DVD, you can add Jerome Callet to the list of players with crooked teeth.

Update: it's now 10 days since I got my permanent crowns installed, with a follow-up visit scheduled for next week. That's a crown on every tooth I have, or a bridge where a tooth or more was missing. Eating is different (very different feel when all teeth have crowns or bridges), but tolerable. Playing doesn't seem to have been affected at all. There's still an implant post to be topped off in a month or two, but it's for a molar, so I have no reason to expect it to change anything. It probably helps that I have a very good dentist, who only charged the equivalent of several Monettes for the work.