Dental work... upper register gone.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Curtis123465, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Curtis123465

Curtis123465 Pianissimo User

Feb 16, 2010
    2 days ago I had a fake tooth put in to fill a gap that I've had for my whole life (right next to my two front teeth...incisor?). before this, I had a comfortable range up to A above high C. Now anything above a high Bb is very difficult and uncomfortable, and pretty much not there anymore. It feels as though I'm not able to get a proper buzz. Being a lead player, you can see how this could be very frustrating to me. I'm sure in time I will adjust to this tooth, but I was wondering if any of you have ever had an experience like this and know anything that may help me recover faster... or should I just learn to play jazz piano :-)

-Curtis

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Just persevere and it will come back, I play with a full upper denture and when it is renewed about every ten years I virtually have to learn to play again from the beginning.

Regards, Stuart.

3. missmybaby

missmybaby Pianissimo User

Sep 27, 2009
    Detroit Metro
    Learn percussion. Requires no skill and dental work is irrelevant. Or, get ready for an embouchure change and get ready to pay your dues again. Take the opportunity to fix bad habits and move forward on your horn. Be patient.

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Well, I guess the question is whether you'd rather have the new tooth, or whether you're willing to use this as an opportunity to learn a new embouchure. I'm in the middle of the exact same thing.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Curtis,
    just be patient. You don't need a new embouchure or even to doubt your dental work.

Playing the trumpet involves fine motor skills based on the geometry of your face. When your face changes, your brain tells the lips to do things that don't work as well.

Long tones, slurs and NOT BEATING YOURSELF UP are the keys to keeping this period short. Work on your chorus abilities. There are plenty of cool things under high C and you just need to play as much as you can to retrain the brain.

6. Curtis123465

Feb 16, 2010
    thanks for the great advice rowuk, I've been doing long tones and buzzing for the past few days and have seen an immediate improvement. Range is up to a comfortable D now, still a lot of fuzz in my sound though.

7. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    My son lost a front baby tooth a few weeks ago and is playing the Hummel in a major competition in a couple of weeks. When I heard about the tooth, I was worried but was careful not to communicate any worry to him. Well, what do you know, his only remark was that tonguing felt funny but he could play exactly the same, including his upper register. He has no idea that this should be a problem, and it wasn't. I think Rowuk is on to something with this sort of thing being a brain issue.

Now hopefully the other front tooth stays put until after the competition!

8. Curtis123465

Feb 16, 2010
    its been 5 months now, still not back to where I was... no endurance at all...

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Curtis,
    when you have a gap filled, your tongue is forced to move elsewhere. That is what is different. I don't know if you are getting lessons. I suspect somebody good would figure this out right away. See if you can get one personal lesson with some good lead player.

10. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Rowuk is right, if you have been working on this for 5 months and no improvement then you need to visit with a teacher.