Dental work... upper register gone.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Curtis123465, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Curtis123465

Curtis123465 Pianissimo User

Feb 16, 2010
    I didn't have a gap filled in my front two teeth, I was missing a tooth next to them. I studied for over a year with pat hession, and also with mike williams a few times. I studied for 2 years with Stephen Jones (former ITG president) also. They have all suggested the same stuff... long tones, lip slurs and arban's.

I think I may try and get the front of the tooth filed down a little bit or angled more straight up and down as I can feel it when I play.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Your tongue fills the area available. I am sure that it is slightly somewhere else now. Even small differences make big changes. If the dentist can make a bit more room for the tongue, maybe it will find what it had before.

3. Curtis123465

Feb 16, 2010
    so you think that filing the tooth down just a little bit may work?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that it is worth a try to file on the INSIDE to give the tongue a more familiar space. I am very sure that it has nothing to do with the lips, unless there is something you haven't reported on. This is why the changes with braces are handlable. The oral space does not change appreciably.

Try and get a VERY late (the last) appointment and take your horn.

5. Curtis123465

Feb 16, 2010
    thats a great point, I've noticed that the inside of my fake tooth does take up a lot of space on the inside.

6. emouradian

emouradian New Friend

Mar 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I had my front teeth bonded in High school during my Junior year. I had to completely change my embouchure and had to open my mouth a tad bit more. It took a week to find the right placement and hours a day of work, but it resulted in a much better tone and increased my range from d above high C to G above high C. My chops did get tired a lot quicker, but after a couple months of hours a day practicing breathing excercises and buzzing......i could keep my register and tone up to almost 2 hours of continuous play. Now, at age 37 and only breaking it out once in a great while....i have even higher register, but can only play for about 30 minutes before my chops are shot. Your hard work will pay off in the long run. Just keep working at it.

7. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Shrewsbury UK & Lanzarote

Hi Curtis

I know exactly what you are going through.

!8 months ago I broke off one of my front teeth (weak due to crowning). This meant that a special sideways bridge had to be made up from the adjacent tooth (also crowned). The root from the broken tooth was extracted leaving some nerve damage and numbness to my lips.

When the new bridge was fitted my front teeth protruded slightly more so the embouchure was changed. Then to cap it all I had to have an inguinal hernia operation which affected by breathing for some time. After this I had to totally start again, so I understand the frustration. I realize now that the new position of the teeth can be a psychological but disregard and forget it. Filing the tooth won't do anything in my opinion, I went through the same doubts. Its more about air stream and air support to your blowing, than about your teeth.

Hang on in there man. After 15 months the nerves in the chops are 90% back and after 9 months the breath control and capacity are returning.

I found the Brass Buzzer and diligent buzzing exercises help a lot and the guidance of a good brass teacher to restore confidence.

You will get back, just pray, be patient, have faith and persevere. It will come.

I fully endorse all the points made by rowuk and others. You are definitely not on your own and we all support you

Hope this helps.

Dennis

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010