Dented my horn last week.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ckkphoto, Jun 16, 2014.

1. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    :shhh::shhh::-(
    After 20 years of owning my Bach C trumpet it finally happened. I knocked it over on the 3 leg k and m stand and it fell over onto the middle slide valve denting the heck out of it. Major sad face. Is this a readily replacable part? If so my trumpet and my attitude will be much improved. Would love to be able to just order a replacement and have it fit. I could just live with it but it bugs the heck out of me.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If a new slide is available, it would have to be fitted by a competent technician and then refinished to match the existing instrument. The alternative is to have the dents removed, again by a competent tech. Hits like this may also cause damage to the 2nd valve. IMO, I'd never use a K&M stand with only three legs ... they also make one with 5 legs as is more stable.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think, not 100% sure, Rich Ita is working in and around the Atlanta area. Sorry for you pain. That sounds like more than a battle scar and needs fixin'.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ditto on the 3 leg K&M (designed by a repairman)! ;-)

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Not Guilty!

6. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    I will check! I greatly appreciate a referral to a trusted resource!

7. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    I have both the 3 and 5 leg models with one trumpet on each...suddenly another 5 leg is much cheaper than it seemed. I had planned on getting one but hadn't done it yet....hindsight and all.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Gotta love hindsight! :bash::bash:

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not if you keep banging your head like that... you'll loose both front and hind sight!

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My Bach C trumpet had two creased dents in the second valve slide when I bought it used. I took it to a local repair shop (Southeastern Musical) and one of the guys there with "the touch" pushed those dents out in a matter of a minute or two, polished the silver a bit, and you couldn't tell they were ever there.