Dented my horn last week.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ckkphoto, Jun 16, 2014.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Should be pretty easy job for a good tech. You may want to have it checked out to be sure the casing wasn't damaged at all.

Living/working close to NYC I'm spoiled by having Josh Landress very nearby. I had a hole in the 2nd valve slide on my lightweight Bach Strad and Josh was able to replace it while I waited (and chatted with one of the jazz professors from Julliard who was just hanging out!).

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If the valve itself still functions, you got lucky. I knocked my horn over by accident one night (Hamilton stand, not the K&M) and I needed to rush home to get a backup horn to play the gig.

Regarding the repair, any halfway decent tech should be able to rub the dents out in a matter of minutes provided they can get the slide off. There's no need to replace the part.

In regard to the K&M stand, I don't see them as being that unstable - it would have to get a pretty substantial knock for it to fall over, so it should be plenty safe within reason. After all, how often do your horns get bumped?

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If you dented the slide w/o affecting the operation of the 2nd valve consider yourself lucky. The dents can be pushed out for only small $. A replacement slide fitted should cost less than $100.

(I see trickg and I had the same thought!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Some players are just lucky that such was the extent of damage. I'm sure that any competent tech would have advised if further repair were needed.

Buying pre-owned, I've seen this often, and the worst was a slide sleeve that became disconnected from the valve casing.

5. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    Thanks to all for the helpful responses. I will look into getting it repaired in the next few weeks and post a report when done. Such a disappointing thing to happen but I guess it could have been much worse.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    K&M 5 leg stands are much better than the 3 leggers! I picked up the 3 by mistake for rehearsal and was "nervous" every time I had to use it with my tilted bell Getzen. In this case more is better!

7. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I am now completely converted to Hercules.

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Yes, Tobylou8, a horn with an uptilt bell is always a little scarier on a stand. Center of gravity and all....

But the cool factor.... well..... I refer you to my avatar pic

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Poirot?

10. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    No, Disney! Along with The Aristocats, The Princess and the Frog, and so many others... :thumbsup: