Dents effect playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Coehlers95, Jun 2, 2015.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Even if the horn is suboptimal, a dent does NOT make your playing better or worse. A better horn is more of a tweak than an enabler. Now, if looking at the dent distracts you, that can have a psychological effect on your playing.

There is no need to have questions in your head, just get the horn fixed.

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Dents in the front part of your skull have an effect on your playing.

3. BernArt

BernArt Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Merida, Mexico
    I would think that anything you get with time little by little in-inside-outside your trumpet that is not part of the original design of the instrument (dents, dust, dead insects, food particles, and other "accidental things"....) should be removed!

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Pics?

It has always seemed to me that the general guidance was that dents in a leadpipe were bad, and a creased bell would not resonate properly, but that otherwise bell dents weren't that big of a deal unless they were substantial - like the bell bow being bent in badly, or similar.

5. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I'll hazard a tentative guess that the OP isn't on the same playing level as Dizzy.

6. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    You uhhhhh! Dents don't matter I dented my car, my head and my head twice I still play so t:Dhere! !

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    My Yamaha has carried a 3mm dent on the outside of the knuckle leading into the 3rd valve for the last couple of years. I didn't think too much of it for a while, but one (of my many) problems persisted for far longer than I felt it should. For a long time I had great difficulty pitching low register A down, and even after a lot of work I was still hitting them very flat and having to lip up.

A couple of weeks ago I switched over to the Wild Thing and lo and behold, no issues down to low F# any volume, and even pretty decent running chromatically down into the pedals.

The other thread on amateur dent repair got me thinking about that wooden spoon in the cutlery drawer that with half a mm whittled off the last couple of inches could possibly reach down to that knuckle....

Cut a long story short, curiosity got the better of me tonight and I managed to remove very, very carefully ~90% of the depression.

Result is that save for a tiny squirrel on low F#, my Yamaha has its low register back. Even to the extent of my being able to double-tongue low G cleanly, which was not even on the map until I just tried it.

Now I'm not disagreeing with anyone else's observations. It's just that in this particular case, it did make a difference.

And no, I'm not going to try and perfect the last 10% of the repair. Do you think I'm mad? :-)

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A big enough dent in the front part your skull and you wont care about anything ... if you're not dead.

9. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    "OH NO YOU DENT-ent!

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Amen! Heard the same. Leadpipe is the worse place. Bell - naw