Dents effect playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Coehlers95, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Shipping an instrument to a competent tech by courier would cost me ~$500 each way. And that's before customs start playing silly b*****rs. I therefore plead special case, m'lud.

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    The way I understand it (correctly or otherwise) is that a dent, regardless of size, can interrupt the standing wave or part thereof and cause distortion of the sound to a degree depending upon where it is in relation to whichever frequency is being played. For example, a small dent in the bell might not affect the sound whatsoever for one note but might interfere with another. Following this line of thought, a small dent in the wrong place could cause more of a problem than a large dent in an area that doesn't affect the standing wave as much, if at all. Whether one can hear the difference between dented and dent-free is open to debate and probably depends upon the magnitude of the distortion, and identifying and understanding precisely where these points are on the tubing, etc. is beyond me. In any event, I keep my horns dent-free in order to know that any undesired sound is me, not the horn, and can adjust accordingly.