Dents

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by musicalmason, Dec 15, 2003.

1. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Ive got a dent on the second valve slide on one of my horns, and the bell is a little out of shape around the rim, its not my good horn, just a practice one so I dont really want to spend the money to have it done professionally, does anybody have any ideas for popping these suckers out?

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Repair shop. Probably about $25 or so.

Yes, I noticed you didn't want to go professionally. But it's really not worth whacking away at it yourself. I tried to reshape a somewhat flattened bell once....ended up bending the whole bell tube at the front brace.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Sorry, but I have to second Tootsall. Just take it to a local repairman and pay a few bucks to have the dents removed. I've seen horns end up worse than they were initially when someone tried to take out a little dent with the rim of their mouthpiece. Not a good idea.

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    The right tools cost many times more than the cost of repair. Take it to a pro.

Dave

5. bugler16

bugler16 Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2003
    Just out of curiosity why do you have a "practice" horn. Does this mean that you practice on one horn and then play a gig on a different horn. In my opinion this just doesn't make sense. Every horn is different and thusly plays different why would you do that to yourself. I don't know about everyone else but I practice on the horn that I'm going to play on.

6. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I have a "practice horn" for two reasons, a, I am in high school and I dont trust my good horn around the shmucks in my school, and b I play parades and my practice horn is a big bore horn better for parades, and I also dont care if it rains or snows on me. and those are the only times I use it in school or parades, I actually pracitce at home on my good horn and play "gigs" on my good horn. (the main reason is because I dont trust the shmucks in my school)

7. MaynardProdigy

MaynardProdigy New Friend

Jan 18, 2004
    FL
    musicalmason,

Good point. I also did the same thing for the same reasons when I was in HS. TR-300 for the field and a Strad for everything else.