Dents

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Blind Bruce, Jan 20, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm getting a little concerned about an old horn ('37 King) that has dozens of dents or dings all up and down the bell. I didn't even know most of them were there until I polished the trumpet! :shhh: Years of grime and patina can hide a lot.

None of them amount to very much, but it makes you wonder what the previous owners were running into all the time .... (really, I lost count around 40 or so). My trumpet teacher said that he thought the intonation was spot on (he loved the horn) but I'm wondering how all these dings affect the sound. I'm considering a restoration and I assume someone would take them all out.

The Turtle

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It takes quite a bit of bell damage to make a sonic difference to the less experienced player. Don't worry about it until the restoration.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Ahh, good! Thanks Rowuk. That settles it, one less thing to worry about. I'm getting a little tech stuff done now (springs, etc.) but I'll just ignore the dents and dings until a restoration. It's really all about how you look at things .... They're not "dents" anymore, they're "character." Much better. :lol:

Turtle

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hey Turtle,

Most of us coming back to the trumpet (including instruments) have a few dings - sometimes we have a bit of bark missing, we may even have had a little maintenance - goes with the territory. I like my horns ding and dent free - and very shiney, but the final outcome is in the hands of the player. What is a tuning slide for anyhow, if not to compensate and adjust for the combination being slightly out of tune situation.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Ted,

My physical therapist takes out my dents and dings .... I'm definitely happier thinking of the horn's dentery as "character" but no doubt, when it gets time for a restoration, they will go back to being "dents" and "dings". I can't imagine saying to a restoring technician, "Can you please remove all the character." :oops:

Turtle

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Point taken :thumbsup:.