Deprate Advice!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JHarris, Jul 18, 2004.

1. JHarris

JHarris New Friend

Jul 13, 2004
    Due to untimely cercumstances I have not been able to practice at all. First i had a vaction, then when I got bck I got my widsom teeth removed. All in all it has been about four weeks.

What I would like to know is what is the most effecent way to build my chops up for marching band so I do not kill my chops? I am thinking longtone, lip slurs, and mp buzzing. Am I on the right track or am i missing something?

Any help will do...

Thanks,
    JHarris

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That sounds like a pretty good plan to me....just don't push your limitations. Start slowly and work your way back up. It's just like any other physical activity - you can't just go out an bench press 300 pounds from the start. You have to build yourself up to that.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    sounds like you know the drill --- but be patient with the atrophy in your chops - work slowly carefully, and softly, don't get impatient -- it will come back.
    I quit for 7 yrs --- (Im 45) but hey - careful, soft, intelligent, repetetive, focused practice --- it comes back
    and YOUR YOUNG -- you bounce back

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wow - given that this thread is 6 years old, I hope that the OP got things going ok and got through marching band season. 6 years ago. :D

5. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    Kingtrumpet:
    Is there a reason for you to keep bringing up threads that are years old?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Kingtrumpet,
    while the content of old threads may apply today, the thread initiator and many that posted back then, even if they are still with the community really aren't interested anymore. The problem is either solved or the trumpet is collecting dust. You wouldn't try to tell your mom how to give birth anymore, would you?

Please refrain from digging this old stuff up - or if they apply to you, start a new thread.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Kingtrumpet,
    while the content of old threads may apply today, the thread initiator and many that posted back then, even if they are still with the community really aren't interested anymore. The problem is either solved or the trumpet is collecting dust. You wouldn't try to tell your mom how to give birth anymore, would you?

Please refrain from digging this old stuff up - or if they apply to you, start a new thread.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Rowuk,
    just in case I couldn't figure out the private message thingy either -- here is your post

rowuk,

sorry - I am not perfect like you -- that is why you are a moderator and I am not --- My oversight on the thread dates --- I see where the date is now -- Normally I just search a topic that I am looking for advice in -- I don't always look at the date before I respond--- I will check dates from now on.

kingtrumpet