Depressed Horn Player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by earnhart88, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    ...longtones??????

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Patric,
    longtones should be part of a standard routine. In this case I don't see any need to OVERemphasize them. Static tones have their place. I do not think that they are the cure here!

3. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    They are the best way to improve tone production in a sense that you should be listening to what you are playing and what your embouchure is doing the entire time, and nothing else.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Patric,
    again you only have a small part of the picture.

Improving tone is not the theme of this thread (although always desirable) AND static tones may be good for many things, but music is a moving target and the BALANCE of what you do is critical. Long tones without external controls can be very harmful to your playing as you can end up adjusting your embouchure and breathing for every single note that you play(I have had to patch this with several students!). This does not train what you need to make music. Add articulation to a botched embouchure based on the incorrect use of longtones, and you could be even seriously going backwards.

I really feel that you need a good local teacher (to augment what you are presently doing), then many of these things would become clear and benefit your playing and posting.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007