Derek Watkins info

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by KCTPTMan, Nov 27, 2008.

1. KCTPTMan

KCTPTMan New Friend

Aug 4, 2005
    Anyone know what embouchure Derek Watkins uses and also there is a video of him playing sinatra's My Way on Flugelhorn. Anyone know what mouthpiece he is using on Flugel.
    Thanks

RobertSlotte likes this.
  2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Derek was Tom Jones' lead player in the late 60s when I met him, I doubt his embouchure had been invented at that time:cool:
    Wilmer

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It makes no difference what embouchure Derek has. What matters is that he has a musical brain and the discipline to focus on the music and not biology. This is true of EVERY SUCCESSFUL PLAYER. They simply do not have time for this BS.

Here is a link to a trumpet company that he co-owns:
    Smith Watkins
    There is a blurb on him there and a broken link to his own web site.

4. diamondsgirl45

diamondsgirl45 New Friend

Jan 26, 2008
    Derek uses a Bach 6.5A or 6C on his flugel... his embouchre is God given and developed, not something that can be bought. He was taught by his father, who was a brass band man and Derek played with his grandfather's Brass Band and his father's dance band before turning professional.
    He used to use a Giardinelli 10 with a 10W rim mouthpiece but now he uses a 7S Giardinelli and a 3C Bach for film work, and uses his own Smith-Watkins trumpet. He also uses the 7S on piccolo trumpet. :play: I can only suggest you search YouTube for videos of Derek's playing. Hope this helps.

5. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    "It makes no difference what embouchure Derek has. What matters is that he has a musical brain and the discipline to focus on the music and not biology. This is true of EVERY SUCCESSFUL PLAYER. They simply do not have time for this BS."

BS?? It´s good to see that you do your hardest to make every new member feel welcome here at TM Robin. Different embouchures = BS?? I can´t even beguin to say how much I disslike that coment!!! :evil:

6. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Too much surstrømning this Xmas rowuk? :roll:

7. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Nordlands....we are SO gonna get flamed now ;0) maby there IS no thing as "embouchure" :) maby all there is is a "dayly rutine...with longe tones at pianissimo" :roll:.......ehm....for some yeah

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Got a problem with someone's attitude? (even a moderator) Just send him a PM. All you accomplish with responses in-kind in the thread (as I see it) is to add heat. What ever happened to "two wrongs don't make a right?"
    veery

9. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    veery...do you know what kind of PM`s Im sending?? No you do not.

10. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    Do you mean that there is no need at all to discuss anything regarding biology as it applies to learning how to play the trumpet? I agree that focusing on music is more important than educating yourself on various embouchure types, but I believe that knowledge of embouchure types won't hurt and that a knowledge of biology as it applies to playing trumpet can be helpful.

RobertSlotte likes this.