Derek Watkins info

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by KCTPTMan, Nov 27, 2008.

1. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    ---

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. diamondsgirl45

diamondsgirl45 New Friend

Jan 26, 2008
    Please gentlemen - stop!! this kind of arguing does no credit to anyone. Derek uses the mouthpieces as I have indicated above...... I do not think there is any need to make this a showplace for discord. Derek is a brilliant musician, his talent is God given and developed by his father and Derek throughout his career. I think you disrespect the person by these attitudes.:-(

3. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    I do not think God has anything to do with his Musicality OR his Embouchure....but....well...I know it is impossible to discuss this here.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  4. diamondsgirl45

diamondsgirl45 New Friend

Jan 26, 2008
    OK - if you prefer it is inherited after four generations of brass players, his great-grandfather, his grandfather, and his father, but that does not change the face that it is disrespectful to argue on this Thread. If you wish to disagree perhaps you should set up a separate Thread to discuss this.

5. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Im the fifth generaion playing the trumpet in my family...and that has absolutly NOTHING to do with this thread!!!

6. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    I love Derek...but that is not my point in this thread. And Yes...I know what embouchure he is using.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    As usual, the problem is not the post, it is the interpretation.

What embouchure who uses for what is of no material significance for anyone else. Derek does what is necessary for HIS INDIVIDUAL FACE and long term HABITS. That is not applicable to anyone else.

Instead of getting on my case for this, offer some info on how to get a strong INDIVIDUAL embouchure. Dereks face, brain and ears are pretty unique. What works for him could destroy someone elses combination.

Too much surstrømning this Xmas rowuk? Nope, a bit of Gammaldansk and a bit more of Vana Talinn though...........

8. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Vana Tallin.......Tried the "Hammer & Sickle" cocktail?
    Have some scary memories from Riga from that mix....:shock:

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Robert,
    every human being, trumpet player or not, has an embouchure as individual as their own handwriting. We ALL use exactly the same muscles, but in different proportions. There may be some general similarities like under or overbite and/or tongue position. My personal research has shown the differences (muscle mass/strength, jaw geometry, tongue position/usage, breathing habits) to be greater than the similarities and has also shown embouchure discussions to be primarily BS. Even the biology of the face offers little help to the player looking for a faster way to get better.

Yes, I am very critical of embouchure discussions. They end up nowhere because of the lack of meaningful content! Even this thread is going there. You criticize but do not offer an alternative. If you disagree, post your feelings/knowledge. I would really like some proof that the study of other embouchures in fact helps ones own playing. I've NEVER found it. Studying practice habits is useful however. That includes exercizes that BUILD embouchure.

My daily routine does not solve all problems. It does give every player that implements it, a point of daily reference however. It also allows the player using his brain, the ability to compare what works and what doesn't because a reference exists.

Robert: again, feel free to disagree, offer proof and we are all better off. Your posts in this thread only criticize and ridicule with no real content. Much below your usual style!