descant for God Bless America

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Jun 9, 2013.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I have been asked to play behind our female soloist in church during our 4th of july service. Does anyone have any ideas as to what can be done with "GOD BLESS AMERICA"? She has a beautiful voice, and I don't want to over power her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    How about playing it with a Harmon Mute in while backing up the singer... would add a real touch of American jazz flavor AND subdued to not distract the audience from her beautiful voice.

3. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    gmonady, good advice. Do you have any ideas , besides playing melody with her?

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What I hear is similar to what is going on around 4:30 in this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLOzKt2ZjfU

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A lot depends on how conservative and/or hip your church is. What works best is to fill in the rests in the melody, and provide some long, background notes. An alternative to harmon-muted jazz licks is to play unmuted fanfare licks in the rests.

6. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Chris Botti does a nice job, but I wasn't looking for something as jazzy. More like a church descant. I guess I,m not making myself very clear. Maybe some fanfares on the long notes might get me by. Thanks again for all your help.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No.. you are pretty clear... The Chris Botti clip was the closest I could find. I actually hear you playing the lead line behind her, and perhaps some nice phrase in between the pauses that break up the vocal line.

8. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    That I can do. Thanks again for your time.