descants to hymns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Oct 5, 2010.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Does anyone know where I may purchase a book that has trumpet descants that can be played with hymns? I've been asked to play in our Methodist Church, and some of the hymns have four or more verses. It would be nice to add a descant on some of the verses. Would very much appreciate it.

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I will see our music librarian tonight. She has come up with numerous descants for when our church ensemble plays. I will get back to you tomorrow if nobody does so between now and then. Are you looking for anything in particular?

3. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Ed, I was just curious to know if there was a book available that had all the hymns with descants to go along with them. Thanks:

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Your best bet is to find out which hymnals the church is using and see if there are different books available.

For example, my church uses "Worship" hymnals, and there are additional books for Bb and C instruments, guitar, etc. The publisher lists them separately:
    Gather Comprehensive Hymnal - GIA Publications

There is no descant book that will have "all the hymns", so your best bet is to try to find one that goes with the series that your church uses.

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    A good starting place for descants to hymns is to play the alto part up an octave. Next, is to do a bit of 'improv' on that up an octave part.

OLDLOU>>

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Mel Bay's HYMNS & DESCANTS FOR TRUMPET

MB94056

117 Hymns with melodies and descants, written for Bb trumpet in the keys most commonly found in hymnbooks
    [​IMG]

Here is an example
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I purchased the following from Amazon.com.

Hymns & Descants for Trumpet by William Bay

and

Trumpet Descants: For 101 Noteworthy Hymns by Lorna Tedesco

8. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Sometimes taking the tenor part up an octave works well also. Good for transposition, too, reading bass clef on a bflat instrument and transposing to concert pitch up an octave!

9. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Thank you all for the great tips. You've all been very helpful.

10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    once a month we have a small brass group play at our church 2 trumpets, flugel and french horn. I play melody, the wife plays descant, flugel plays the tenor or bass line and the french horn plays the alto line. My suggestion would to have another trumpet play the melody if you decide to play the descant part, just a thought. The wife writes her own descant line.