descants to hymns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Oct 5, 2010.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Thank you all again for the great tips. In my search, I came upon The Celebration Hymnal. It has over 800 Hymns, with descants to go along with them. If anyone is interested in obtaining one,the phone number is 1-888-324-9673. I hope this is helpful to someone. God Bless

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I second the Mel Bay, Hymns and Descants for Trumpet. I bought my copy in early 1989 for $12. It has been used, used, used and abused. My copy is taped and tattered and at some point I'll probably get a new one. IMO it's some of the best money I ever paid for printed music. The hymns are in the most common keys where you'll find them in standard hymnals, the descants are well written, so most of the time you can roll in with a Bb trumpet and you don't even have to transpose - just figure out how many times through and which time you want to play the descant. It even works well if you have another trumpet player.

3. TrumpetSusan

TrumpetSusan New Friend

Dec 16, 2011
    Hello,
    I realize that your post is from last year, but I just joined Trumpet Master! I would like to let you know about the new book of original trumpet descants I just published, Heavenly Descants for Trumpet on 118 Hymn Tunes. I have cross-referenced the harmonies from 5 different hymnals, including the Methodist hymnal (as well as the Episcopal Hymnal and 3 different Lutheran ones). I hope you will visit my website: HeavenlyDescants.com. The book is available in both B-flat and C Trumpet editions.

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Try looking at Sheetmusic Plus, believe I've seen several types there as well.......Buck:oops: