Descants

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetguy27, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Too, I've learned to expect the unexpected, not only in church music, but in concerts and gigs and LIFE. Just today, I luckily was very early and hanging loose drinking coffee with the funeral director when he got the call from the church that the funeral had been advanced an hour earlier since the minister had prior scheduled a wedding at 11:00 A.M. Well, the Marine Corp League and family was present also, albeit some mourners may not have been. The funeral went off the best I've seen in this area, and my sounding Taps was perhaps my best. Still, I was a bit astounded that the Marine Corp League had brought along an electronic bugle, but they deferred to me. Still when they folded the flag, the snap was was strong and their rifle volleys synched. Too, I was impressed by the perimeter blooming azaleas and neatness of this private family cemetery. I've learned that private family cemetarys are common in this area, as such is the 3rd one I've attended and I've observed many along the roadways.

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Dale - Oh how I know about "change 99", you stayed up late transposing all the hymns and when you see the bulletin one or more of the hymns have been changed. I used to be able to transpose on the fly with no problem but any more I rely heavily on the computer program to do it. I just suck it up and play it [usually with no problems].

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  3. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    "Des can't play it"

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The minister / director may pull this stunt once, they may pull it twice, but as I'm not charging a fee ... they will not try it three times as I'll not be at "bat to strike out". I still can sight read transposition from C music to Bb on the fly. OK, our minister totally cut my solo for this Easter Sunday that they committed to over six weeks ago. All I can say to him is find someone else to play solos as I'm not going to anymore. He's been here less than a year, and the word already is that he'll soon be gone.

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Know the feeling, Ed. My descant got deep sixed, too. Worried that I'll bury the choir( less than a dozen voices). I'm looking at a low range sub, but not overly thrilled about it. probably the last time they'll see the Bach, sanctuary is small and extremely "live". Not conducive to high brass:-(:dontknow::oops:

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    At least your director/piano player/singer "knows" what a descant is!

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Tobylou8, of the three Protestant churches in Jackson I know of, I wouldn't be so gross to ask any if they knew what a "descant" was, but I certainly know that one of the organists that lives here knows although she plays the organ o Sundays in Roanoke Rapids. She is a collegiate in the College of Church Musicians and particularly that I have played the descant of Holy, Holy, Holy with her at the organ.

Buckwith a Bach, The sanctuary of our Methodist church here seats only 248 as includes the minister and choir seats. While the stained glass windows are now protected on the outside with polycarbonate, at times they vibrate with organ and brass music inside. Too, it is far far from the greatest in acoustics and when I have soloed I play from a side balcony near to the altar and project diagonally across the congregation and away from the windows. Not great, but best. The Baptist church here is newer and larger but long and narrow with a much higher ceiling and I play from the side of the choir in the nave. About the only times of the year either of these have close to 2 dozen voices in the choir is Easter and Christmas. I've been to our church on Sundays when there were zero. Still, if I were to play a solo alone to a congregation, I'd prefer the Episcopal church sanctuary as is hardly larger than a chapel and if it seats 100 I'd be surprised. I'm welcome almost any day except Fridays and Saturdays to come and play clergical music in the sanctuary, making my entry via the side office.

I do have an all brass rendition of In The Garden by C. Austen Miles wherein twice I play a counterpoint on top of the melody. I said this because I have heard someone call a counterpoint a descant which in my mind it is not.

8. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Figuring out where you're at can be tricky

Mr. Bean - Singing at Church - YouTube

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Ed, Ours was built in the 50's. Narrow Sanc. with a tall ceiling. Carpet on the aisles, bare walls otherwise. Last couple evenings I've been sitting in the back during Maundy and Good Friday services and noticed even the organ bounces round terribly back there. Have a new organist that really knows how to use that thing. We've been beating ourselves silly with the accoustics in there trying to get something together that's triumphant, but won't get the pastor's eyebrows up. Think the lower part of that descant is going to work(it was written for two parts) as a substitute for the higher part. Am going to use the 17A for the whole service switching mouthpieces between a 10 1/2C and the Wick. Go from sorta trumpety to mellow cornet. The organist downloaded a free piece that's 16 measures as an opening fanfare that I have been able to get to work with the 10 1/2C that's a little on the high side, but at least doesn't involve the choir, so I'm a little more free soundwise. Only change I've made is to drop the last two measures or so down an octave as holding an A above the staff for ten beats at that tempo is problematic for me( can you say clam?????)Otherwise, think I can get it done as written. Will be polishing it up this afternoon with him and my SIL( she plays the harmony parts).......Buck:oops:

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I played a Good Friday service last night and used cornet exclusively. I used a Bach 3C for the opening number, a fanfare-type piece, and then switched to the Curry 3BBC for the hymns and the closing piece, "Salvation is Created". There was a large string section that played "Adagio for Strings", which was beautiful - I think that's one of my favorite string pieces. Anyway, tomorrow is Easter and it will be trumpet all the way fot that!