Describe this sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by justind, May 13, 2009.

1. justind

justind New Friend

May 9, 2009
  2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Sounds like Maynard to me...

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Great!

4. Bagnewauckland

Bagnewauckland Pianissimo User

Dec 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    Epic?
    Definitely Epic

5. justind

justind New Friend

May 9, 2009
    lol not exactly the kind of description I was looking for :D bright, brilliant, dirty, clean , dark, fat, full, mellow, big??? People use a lot of words like that to describe sound, I want to see I understand what these terms mean kinda. In my mind this is bright and full with a hint of dirty. anyway, I really like how he sounds in this clip, eventually I would like to be able to produce this sound :)

6. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    That hint of "dirty" as you call it, is edge. That's usually a sound you only want if you are into marching band or this style of jazz. You can't really tell a "big" versus "small" sound from a youtube video because most recording devices (even today) can't capture the natural "ring" that you get with a live performance. His sound is indeed bright but I imagine the video makes his sound brighter than it really is (again due to the lack of "ring" in recordings).

Now what follows is a short definitions of the terms you gave as examples:

Brilliant is a bright sound but with less edge. It's more of a "shimmering" sound, more pleasing to the ears than just plain "bright." (Note: Trumpets are naturally bright instruments. Even a dark trumpet sound is relatively bright when you compare it to the grand scheme of things.)

Clean is a matter of being able to high the notes spot on where you want them to be. It is a quality of playing more than a quality of sound.

Mellow is also a quality of playing but is equally a quality of sound. Mellow just means less edge (or none at all). Saying a person plays mellow means that he/she is backing off on the volume of sound (though this does not mean that he/she is backing off on air). A mellow instrument is one that is describe as having a softer, smoother sound, like the Flugelhorn, Baritone Horn, French Horn, Euphonium, etc. extreme mellow sounds like those of the Flugelhorn and Euphonium as sometimes referred to as fluffy

Dark is sometimes synonymous with a flat instrument (tuning the instrument lower than A=440) to the untrained ear, but is really just another way of saying big sound. so are fat and full, but to different degrees. I personally say Dark = Big < Full < Fat.

Some of these qualities are mutually exclusive, meaning they don't always travel together. You have a bright edgy sound or a dark edgy sound,

Others are not, (i.e. dark, dull, and fat all go together in one category; bright and brilliant in the other) mellow sounds are almost always dark but dark sound are not always mellow.

7. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    outer space man :whistle:

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi justind,
    You picked probably a great video; but most trumpeters would describe the sound as Maynard, and most will know the sound you have.

Keep listening to more trumpeters, and you will find the answers to the descriptions you seek. Maynard is very distinctive, and the words SCREAM would come closer to the mark.
    Cheers, keep listening and keep swingin'

9. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Laser beam...

Maynard's tone is so cheesy

10. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    To each his own though, right! :grouphug: