Description of horns for sale?????

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by bandman, Dec 2, 2005.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Have you ever noticed that every horn that comes up for sale, especially on Ebay, is a horn that "Plays great!" or it is "the "best horn I've ever played"?

I'm waiting for an advertisement that tells it like it is:

"I bought this horn and I thought it would be great, but the horn really sucks. I paid $2000 and I'd really like to get $1900 for it since it is almost new. The horn has only been played a few times (it didn't take long for me to realize just how bad it is) so you can consider it as brand new.

I will ship to anywhere. Shipping is only $50 and you will save $50 off the price of a new horn when you add the cost of the horn and shipping together. I'll even include a half full bottle of valve oil with this sale!"

2. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Worse yet, is when something is advertised 'for sale' and then you find out there is no firm selling price and you're directed to some 'auction'. Don't people don't know an auction from a sale?

gregc :cry:

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Actually, Bandman... there HAVE been a couple of posts such as you describe. Whether the seller was serious or not was never revealed but there certainly was a surplus of "truth in advertising" there.

You might be able to find reference to the posts in TH if you do the right search but I warn that it was over a year ago.

4. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    I recently (2-3 mos ago) noticed an eBay offering for "The worst-designed mouthpiece, ever!".

Robert Rowe

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    One man's trash is another's treasure... The only thing I care about when buying things online is an accurate physical description of the condition. I often find that the horns that I like are often times the ones no one else likes. A few weeks ago, I bought a new (for me) Yamaha B-flat from a guy who just didn't like it and I paid less than $300! It's now my #1 instrument for jazz and non-classical work. I'm sure that if he had sold it online, he would have listed it as "the greatest trumpet ever" even though he didn't like it, but for me it would have been true. Just a thought....

-Jimi

6. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Here's another thing, if it really is "the greatest trumpet ever!" Then why would they want to sell it?

7. jazzartizt1742

jazzartizt1742 New Friend

Dec 14, 2003
    Union Grove, Wisconsin
    A simple, "This just didn't work for me, maybe it will for you" attitude would be the best in my opinion. Unless you are selling your favorite horns to pay some late bills, saying it's the best horn you've ever played is most likely a lie. Also I think people on Ebay need to verbally explain the condition of the horn more because most digital camera photos aren't very good resolution.