Desiccant in Trumpet Case

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by WUG, Aug 10, 2005.

1. WUG

WUG New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Orlando,FL
    I had an idea to put a desiccant (moisture absorber) packet in my case along with my horns. I figured it would help dry out the lead pipe and moisture deep in the bell where I can't reach. My fellow trumpet player at church thought it was a good idea too, and did the same. This past weekend, he said he removed the packet because he felt that it was drying out the oil in the valves and possibly drying out the corks in the spit valves. Anybody have any experience with this? I haven't noticed my valves becoming dry. The packets I am using are Damp Rid freshener packets- non scented, safe around food:
    http://www.damprid.dsiwebbuilder.com/index.asp?cat=40020

I will admit though, it doesn't seem as if much moisture is absorbed because the crystals turn to pink as they work, and they have been turning ever so slightly.

WUG

2. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    Since a case isn't airtight, the packets will absorb moisture from the air. While it's a great idea in theory, I just don't think it's that practical. Your best bet is to just empty your water keys and wipe off your corks. :lol: