desperatly NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by brendag123, Nov 11, 2009.

1. brendag123

brendag123 New Friend

Nov 10, 2009
    brownsville, texas
    so im brenda 16 year old trumpet player, as i write this in my bcis class...
    anyway, i am a good player, everyone LOVES how i play. i love how i play! people are amazed at how well i play at such a young age. the bad thing about me though is, my mouthpiece placement is WAY off. it's to low on my lip, i dont have any skin at all on the mouthpiece. the rim of the mouthpiece is litteraly ON my top lip. my band director wants me to change it, my brass caption head from corps leaves it up to me, and my trumpet tech leaves it up to me. i really dont know what to do or how to fix it, if i do try to fix it. i have tried before, many many times, but i just cant do it, the highest note i can get is a middle space C, and even then it sounds bad and i struggle to get it. im used to being at the top and getting 1st part and if i change this, supposedly it will take about 2 months. i really dont know what to do. i LOVE to play and i dont want to, i guess as us teens say now a days, suck. ive got a reputation, and by changing my lip, then it will go down the drain.
    HELP!!

love always,
    Brenda G

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Why does your band director want you to change? Generally it's a good idea to have the red of your top lip inside the mouthpiece, but there are exceptions to every rule, if there's a problem with tone, range, endurance,flexibility, etc. ,then a change may be needed, if not,then keep what works for you.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    So, the top edge of the mouthpiece cup is sitting about midway on your top lip?

Whatever you decide, wait until summer when you have a lot of time to work on it and few performances. Then get a private teacher to help you through your change. I changed my mouthpiece placement following my 10th grade in HS and it was messed up for over a year. So, be careful.

Greg

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    If I'm reading this correctly, your placement is about the same as Wynton Marsalis's, almost all the mouthpiece on the bottom lip and a little on th top lip. This is my placement too, about 3/4 bottom 1/4 top. i also hear you say you're happy with your sound and people like it too. So if its not broke, break it?
    If you decide to change, I'd listen to gzent advice.

5. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I second gzent's advice.

6. Tpetjunkie

Tpetjunkie New Friend

Nov 11, 2009
    Daytona Beach
    I have the same placement and I do not find it a problem. I am also 16 too and my schools band feels the same way. If you play fine like that then don't change. There are only a few things to take into consideration- Tone, endurance, playability, and etcc.. If you feel that you have these things with your apurature than I see no problem in how you play.

7. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I had exactly the same issue as you - I was down in the red of my top lip. On the advice of both my band director and my private teacher, I decided to move my piece up and out of the red just this summer. It was a little bit difficult for a few weeks (and quite frustrating at times), but I played with my setting a little bit over time and eventually I found something that works and I'm back up to my usual range of E above high C and I'm seeing big endurance gains (in concert with lessening pressure).

My best advice to you right now would be to consult a/your private trumpet teacher about this issue. They'll be able to give you what you need to a) make an informed decision about this issue and whether or not you need to shift the piece up out of the red and b) help make the transition as smooth as possible.

Best of luck.

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    If you're serious about playing the trumpet, you need to consult with a teacher who has a lot of experience and really knows how to teach. It's true that playing with the mouthpiece in the red of the lip is less common, but there just isn't any way to address this over the internet. Maybe someone here can recommend a teacher in your area who REALLY knows what they're doing. Until then, I'd stick with the approach of "If it ain't broke..."

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Start playing a lot more lipslurs. The mouthpiece will quite often "gravitate" to a new position WITHOUT having to mess with a new embouchure.