deteriorating range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jan 27, 2012.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Thank you for all your advice! I already have a music major college student as my teacher. I've been taking lessons from him ever since he was a junior in high school. (I was in middle school back then) Unfortunately, he does not come back that often since he goes to a college a bit far away. So I can only take lessons when he comes back for a holiday, Santa Clara Vanguard camp, or something. On average twice a month. I'm planning to get a different teacher for the summer, since he's gone for drum corp.

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Just adding to the topic, I'm sure I'm touching on a bit of what everyone else has said.
    You're going to have to build up muscle to account for the rim increase -- that takes time.
    You have more cup volume, so air support is a requirement. If your air support is lacking, so will your range.
    The rim may not be a good fit, simply put... but ignoring that, such a dramatic increase in rim size will surely cause some grief, and require time and training.

PS -- As a music ed major, I only have time for a couple hours of practice a day --- I have classes from 7am to 6pm, and usually have ensembles that keep me until 9pm. I get a lot of playing time (at least 4 hours a day, if not more), but not necessarily PRACTICE time. Time management will be critical, so keep this in mind.

Regards
    Mark

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My 2 cents, find a mpc for the horn you like and stick with it and don't change unless it's cup depth for tone.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    NO WAY!!!!!! -- do you people believe this????-- a music major having classes from 7AM to 6PM --- then ensembles to 9PM??? DUDE, you might as well become a doctor --- you will work just as hard at that, and make tons more money... OK, maybe doctoring isn't for you -- -then I suggest (to all music majors) to do an about face --- and QUIT the music degree ----BECOME an elementary physical education teacher. That way, you get to PLAY all day with the kids, you won't have any homework to correct, or tests to administer -------play ball and sports with the little elementary kids all day --- heck,you could end up old and fat, and still keep up with those little kids!!!!!!!!---and besides you will have loads and loads of EXTRA TIME at night to give music lessons, play in community bands, start your own ensemble ----- and that beats the torture of a 7AM to 9PM day to get a music degree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Ok you need to get a teacher that you can have weekly lessons with. Ab your level this is a must. Even once a month for you would be useless. I have space available and I'm cheap. Check out my web site.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Sounds like you aren't happy squeeking out high notes and have chosen the better tone route which has already been stated. That can have a really big effect on your tone. Some guys also play on tight chops makes it easer to play high notes but if you warm up proberly you can't cheat anymore and your real range will emerge.
    I have always been a large embrochure player but have started to try to dial it back. It takes alot of work to get the lower register to sound full but from what I have read, I belive it is the more maure approach. It also stops me from moving my jaw all over the place when I do lip slurs.
    Did you have any dental work done over the summer?

7. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    No, I put retainers on when I sleep, but that just keeps my teeth in place.