Detroit Redwings Captain Steve Yzerman

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    ...and it was good seeing him get another goal on a great fake last night.
    He has always been a soft spoken man. He is never involved in any controversies and is always ready to give an honest answer to any questions.

A real star in sports and life.

-cw-

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Guys like that in sports have always been my favorites. I don't know a thing about hockey but I'm catching the vibe about a great athletic moment and the character of the person involved.

It's one of the reasons I was so happy when Cal Jr. broke Gehrig's record: because he was from the mold of my beloved "Iron Horse". Both men that showed up to work ready to play and kept out of the limelight off the field. Willie Mays was another, Hank Aaron, Michael Jordan... It would be nice to see a list of athletes that played fair on and off the field. (There were a lot of broken hearts after Kirby Puckett retired and his off-the-field life caught up with him, mine included. I got to know him a little and it was a real shame that his retirement was sullied by the reports of his private life. I'm not saying they shouldn't have become public knowledge, as the charges were very serious. It was just a huge burst of the bubble.)

Is it that these types are more rare than before

or

is it that the media spend less time on them because "there's nothing to report" other than the results of the games they play in?

ML

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Here here Chuck!

Wasn't that great when he "deked" out New Jersey's goalie. His jock was lying on the ice and the biscuit was in the basket. Oh it was wonderful to see stevie finese that puck home!

The man is truly a hockey legend, I just wish the sport would recognize him the way that we who grew up with him do.

5. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I'm with Manny in that I tend to really like those types of players. Sadly, I think that the media is so caught up over-reporting things like...

-Some asinine thing Terrell Owens said or did
    -Ricky Williams
    -A rediculous touchdown celebration (even though some are actually pretty amusing)
    -Retired players saying foolish things or writing "tell all" books
    or
    -anything inflamatory that gets people all riled up

...that they don't have the time or desire to write about the good guys in sports, since it won't generate as much hype. I mostly mean television, because if you look a little deeper you can find some great stories, but you usually won't hear much about it on Sports Center.

In fact, the other night on ESPN, an NFL commentator said something to the effect of "when was the last time you saw a player score a touchdown and then hand the ball to the ref and go back to the sidelines?" Well, here's when...Every time Rod Smith scores for the Broncos. But showing that isn't very crowd pleasing.

Hmm...I hope that doesn't sound like a big angry rant, but it's annoying that the good guys in sports are so often overshadowed by the ones that cause a hugh ruckus wherever they go.

So, in the interest of supporting players I like, here are some I think are good guys, and who's names you rarely hear nationally, even though they're very good (and I'm from Denver, and mostly follow those teams, so forgive the Denver bais, I don't have time to really follow everybody):

Rod Smith
    Terrel Davis
    Todd Helton
    Larry Walker
    Joe Sakic
    Howard Griffith (retired Denver fullback)
    Eddie MaCaffery
    Mike Anderson (Former Marine and Denver running back)
    Gary Kukbiak (retired Bronco's back up QB and current Denver Coach)

And countless other players in all sports who show up, do thier jobs well, are decent people, give to the community, but are not superstars, so they never get mentioned much outside of the box score.

Ok, so to go back to what Manny said, I think there are plenty of these types of players, but a few superstars who happen to be jerks get more press. Wow, it took me a long time to say a simple thing...forgive me, it's finals week, I need sleep!

Jason.

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
  7. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks for chiming in guys...

Here's today's piece on Steve Yzerman

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051208/OPINION03/512080432

He is a hero, and was an incredible role model for my generation of hockey players. We all fought over who would wear the #19, we all wanted to be like Stevie Y....

Manny, if you'll not think me too cavalier I'd be more then willing to answer any questions you have about the game that I played, coached, refereed, Lived and love!

It's the least I can do after all the advice I've weined from you!