Developing a good warmup routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by schleiman, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    The length of a warm-up varies for each player. I like using the Maggio warm-up and exercises early in the day,after this I'm ready for whatever comes along later. I feel a warm-up should not only get your lips buzzing,but also get your breathing and mental focus ready for the day.

2. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Thanks you all so much for your insights and ideas. This is exactly what I was looking for, lots of different approaches to it. Dave, I do have a great teacher who is helping me, he played with Maynard! He usually just tells me what he does. I have incorporated those things to start with. It's going to take loads of experimenting and careful attention to what my body is saying to me. I know the pedal tones and soft long tones and lip slurs help tremendously. A very nice gentlemen named Dr.Mark PMed me with Wynton's Prescribed practice routine, which looks to be about 3 hours long. I have incorporated the Clarke finger flexibility excersizes into my routine the past couple of days, so I'm still waiting on seeing some serious improvement there. I forget who said it, maybe Rowuk, progress is observed in months/years, not hours/days, so I am enlisting my good friend patience to help me. :)

I started yesterday on #38 in the Clarke book I think it's the E#, I started out at 40 bpm, increasing at 5 bpms when I felt I could play it comfortably, and by the time 20 mins had gone by, I was up to 80 bpm! If I do this everyday, and slowly get faster with each exercise, I feel the horn under my fingers a lot better in just a couple of months! I won't be able to take sight singing and ear training until next spring unfortunately, but I am looking forward to that class so I can hear the pitches and intervals BEFORE I have to play them. Again, thank you everyone who responded for your input, and if anyone else has anything to add, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Take care!