Developing Concentration Performance Skills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jmberinger, Dec 12, 2011.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    J:

Yeah, I kinda figured that, but thought as long as we were on the topic of keeping concentrating I'd
    throw an idea out tat has worked for me.

If you happen to play in a party band, especially this time of year, all those lovely young ladies dancing
    in front of the stage can be quite a challenge too! :cool:

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I used to develop concentration during my 2 hour solo guitar and singing gig in a cafe ....... By minding my volume so that conversations could freely go on in the cafe and LISTENING TO THE CONVERSATIONS, while playing. Try keeping your time and not forgetting lyrics while trying to not laugh at something someone said in a conversation nearby. :lol:

Turtle

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    TJ, That's too funny!!!

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I developed concentration by doing homework on my 45 minute bus ride with kids bouncing around.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Staying focussed for 5 hours means practicing staying focussed for 7. Add 6 hours to your practice routine daily and you'll get there in no time flat.

6. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    Rowuk: If I had six hours for practicing, I would use that solution. I would like much better that the work that earns me a living for those same six hours.

Anyway, do you break down your practice time?

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Pick a spot on the wall.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It depends how we define "break down". Sometimes I will spend two hours on an 8 bar theme to get the articulation perfect. Sometimes I will pick up the natural trumpet and play an hour of lip trills. Sometimes I just exercize the right hand on my cornetto (those that play know why).

I have a 60 minute daily routine which is pure maintenance. The rest of the available time is spent on what performance is coming up next that needs work. There are months where I need a different trumpet every week. My method is habitmakers - repetition. It works.

9. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    The more you often perform the easier it will get. I also think that the first sign of physical fatigue shows up in the form of mental failures. I notice more mistakes from the band as a whole near the end of a 3 hr dance gig than at the start. It is usually in the form of botched entrances, missed key signature changes, etc.... rather than split or missed notes. My theory is that as you start to get tired your brain is making adjustments subconsciously to help pick up the physical slack. That leaves less available brain power to pay attention and do the things that require thinking. It is just a theory. I plan to get back on the fitness wagon to improve my mental and physical capacity to play music. Time till tell.

10. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    I don't play in classical ensembles very often anymore. However when once I did found that missing entrances was a problem because i would simply forget if counting 16 bars or 26. 20 or 30? and so on.

Classical music has horrendously long rests. One of the main reasons why I refuse to play in these kind of settings most times i'm asked. Boring. However one trick i found that worked well at not losing track of the count was to try and remember one event that happened from a year that matched the count.

Example: If it is the sixth bar? I remember the birthday party my mom held for me that year. 7? The second grade teacher I had. 8? Same thing.

Then just go on and on up the years like 18? First beer etc. Obviously if there are 120 measures of rests you're screwed.

Counting this way makes it easy to stay on top of things. you may even remember a few things about your life you'd forgotten.

The only problem after that are conductors who use strange baton patterns that slow down or speed up at a pace only someone who is playing at the time could figure.

I suppose memorization of each specific composition is a possibility. Find the Youtube production of the piece and synchronize all your entrances from that.