Developing Consistant, Good Sounding Vibrato

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Slenderhugger, Nov 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Slenderhugger

Slenderhugger New Friend

Oct 29, 2014
    Hello all,

I am currently a high school trumpet player, and have been having difficulty developing a consistent vibrato technique. There are two techniques that I use currently:
    1. Slightly moving the horn. This produces a good-sounding vibrato, but only on notes lower on the register. After going above e on the staff, moving the horn has little effect on the tone.
    2. Bending the tone with my chops. This produces a good sounding vibrato on notes on the higher register, but is difficult to produce a good sound using this technique on lower notes.

Could someone possibly give me advice on different techniques that I could utilize to produce good vibrato? I would appreciate it. :)

-Slenderhugger

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Find one way and work on it so it works in all registers. Only repetition will net you the results you desire. Keep at it till it's second nature. It takes some time.

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Welcome to TM, Slenderhugger! There are three ways to create a vibrato - move the horn; move the lips; regulate the air by moving your diaphragm. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, as you will discover when you practice all three to the extent that you can do any of them at will.

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Four ways...

You can be terrified and THAT will produce the wavering effect.

5. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    If you are having trouble using the most widely accepting technique, which is by using your diaphragm, try whistling and then try to give it a vibrato or trill. If you can do that, you can get a nice vibrato on the trumpet as it is the exact same action, only difference is the horn on your lips.

6. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I think that falls into the category of diaphragm vibrato. The type you mention is involuntary :shhh:, though, so it would be harder to practice. ;-)

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I was thinking that at first, but then realized that the poor afflicted soul would not only be tensing and releasing his diaphragm, but every muscle in his tortured body. It might not be able to practice...but, being a trickster I sure enjoyed CAUSING a startled reaction in others trying to play.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I use technique 2 and have no trouble with vibrato on lower notes IF using a mouthpiece with a deep cup. Also, half valving the note makes the vibrato easier in the low range.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree with BigDub and stick with one way.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If God would have wanted man to play trumpet vibrato by moving the horn, God would have invented trumpets with springs!