Developing Consistant, Good Sounding Vibrato

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Slenderhugger, Nov 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    When playing vibrato ANYWAY. always hold the horn with a white handkerchief. It's the Naw o'rleans tradition all the way.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What the hell does safe sex have to do with vibrato?

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Slenderhugger!

I know of no working trumpet players that use what is called a "diaphragm vibrato." Such a vibrato produces a billy-goat effect, which is no longer considered good style except for old timey cornet solos, and even then it sounds wrong, plus it relies on a lot of tension in the airway. Most players use a jaw vibrato or hand vibrato.

Experiment with speeding up and slowing down the vibrato as well as being able to play with no vibrato.

Have fun!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Welcome to TM

What he said [​IMG]

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Welcome to Trumpetmaster. My personal belief is to not treat vibrato as a "thing".

Let me explain, vibrato is a form of expression not based on math. This makes it a different animal compared to technical studies.

The first step to vibrato is finding a model of what it should sound like, when to use it and when not. Often operatic singers give us models with a wide range of possibilities. When we start playing those tunes, we have in our head where we want to go. For those lucky enough to have a good church music program, there is often a "too loud" soprano with a good voice. That is a really good opportunity because we have the role model, the sheet music and a chance to play duets.

I will go on record saying that there is no such thing diaphragmatic vibrato. The diaphragm is solely there to INHALE. When our whole body is involved, it is the abs, not the diaphragm. BIG difference! This form of vibrato happens when we are playing at our physical limits as operatic singers do when balancing an 100 piece orchestra at climax.

I use the right hand or the tongue based on the event. Taaaeeeeaaaeeeaaaeeeaaaeeeaaaeeeaaa is easy enough when we know what we want (back to that soprano). Hand vibrato I only use VERY seldomly for a big "romantic" solo like in an American in Paris.

So my advice is to "go to church", listen to that soprano, then break out the hymnbook and start practicing in context - with the hand and with the tongue. No goal is easier to accomplish as one where we exactly know where we want to end up at, and have a clean path to. Vibrato as a technical study will FAIL and inhibit correct usage later as we are creatures of habit! Context, CONTEXTCONTEXT!

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I must admit I am not one that can easily describe my own methods, nor how I achieve the results. I get a fairly decent vibrato and it's consistent.
    How do I accomplish it? Not so sure about that. I know I don't shake the horn, at least. I think I use my abs for what I feel is the best result for me.
    Anyway, listen to the others. They seem to be better at describing "how to".

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I was taught that proper trumpeters should never use vibrato. And by and large I've stuck to that principle except when it was specifically marked on the score. Guys and Dolls springs to mind.

So it's a bit of a coincidence that this thread crops up the day after I've started working fairly seriously on "Il tramonto" (the Fistful of Dollars solo), which needs shedloads of Latin style vibrato.

Jaw wobble seems to get the right sound for me on this one.

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Seems to me, Seth, there's a time when vibrato is absolutely wrong, but then there's also a time when no vibrato is just wrong too. There are many sounds we can make come out of these things, aren't there? That's part of why I love it. I even work on making some new strange sounds never before heard from it, and sometimes it's not intentional.........:-P

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :welcome::welcome::welcome::wave::wave::wave::laughwave::laughwave::laughwave:

Nutshell answer from me is, Practice and become proficient in both (hand and lip/jaw/tongue/mouth).

10. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    ...and the diaphram/thoracic vibrato (singer's vibrato).