Developing Consistant, Good Sounding Vibrato

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Slenderhugger, Nov 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is true... Use vibrato as a texture that a painter would use in their paintings. Us it when it provides the texture desired in the performance, and don't use it when it distracts from the context of the piece you are playing. I find vibrato works well with New Orleans spiritual songs, and at strip bars. It brings the feeling through for spirituals and enhances the fall time for the brazier at strip bars.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I had a voice teacher that was a regular at the Met in her day. She said vibrato is to be used occasionally to flavor the performance. She said most singers use vibrato to hide a weak voice and bad mechanics and that vibrato has ruined opera. She joked that she was Italian but couldn't understand a thing being sung!!! She taught me to sing without vibrato and then to flavor if needed. I reiterate concentrating on the first two.

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    There is a "put on" vibrato and a natural vibrato in singing, I am of the opinion. I cannot sing without it unless I concentrate very hard. My vibrato is natural coming from support from down deep. It's involuntary and it is nice when I can have it where I need it in trumpet playing in the same way. I can play trumpet without it, so don't get the wrong idea.
    I had an interesting thing happen when I wanted to play ( Trumpet) with a neighbor, who is in his 80's, Mexican, and played in a Mariachi Band for many years. We started playing something we both knew, and here comes this amazing vibrato from him, and seemed like that was the only way he was ever going to play, and me, no vibrato. Funny, he hadn't played in about 15 years, either. He is a wonderful man and I would never say anything derogatory toward him. This is admiration.

4. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    1. Diaphram vibrato (or abs vibrato, as Rowuk says) varies the amplitude of the air. Done quickly, this approaches a tremolo. Some singers use this type of vibrato (i.e. Gloria Estefan). Not my cup of tea. Sounds too fake to me.
    2. Hand vibrato varies both the amplitude and the pitch slightly. It works very well for some (think Doc). For me, it doesn't work well in the high register where I'm using more MP pressure. The difference in force against the lips by moving your hand is neglible when MP pressure is high. Plus, maybe because I'm left handed, I've never been able to coordinate this well.
    3. Jaw vibrato, done by saying Tah-eee-ahh-eee-ahh, varies the harmonics associated with the note being played and also, I think, very slightly varies the position of the lips to create a pitch variation too. You can tailor this to fit context. Fast or slow. Exaggerated or barely nonexistent. This is the one I use.

My 2 cents.

-John

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You forgot to add "...and use a lot of steam from the shower..."

:think:You can thank me later.

6. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    • Method 1: (breath vibrato): I don't know how any trumpeter can play with a breath vibrato. I've tried it, and it isn't easy, and doesn't sound good to my ears.
    • Method 2 (Horn movement toward and away from the mouth) is useful when you don't want to change your embouchure. It's useful (for me) in the upper registers, when using a jaw or lip vibrato might send me down (or up) to the next harmonic (or "partial").
    • Method 3 (jaw vibrato) is my preferred method in lower and mid-range playing. It adds the depth of tone that I'm looking for, and can easily be varied in speed.

I tend not to use vibrato in an orchestra setting, and use it more in jazz styles (unless the music is marked "No Vibrato").

I think of vibrato in playing as adding "presence" to the tone. Usually, unless the music calls for it, my vibrato is very subtle, almost unnoticeable. The result is that it adds depth to my tone when needed.

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Thank you. I also paint paintings in the shower and play the trumpet in the shower. Big Dub, not later. You're welcome.

8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011