Developing High-register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by axel_sjostedt, Aug 2, 2005.

1. axel_sjostedt

axel_sjostedt New Friend

May 4, 2005
    Hello everyone!!!
    I'm just curious if anyone could help me developing my register??
    Any thoughts on how too improve the high-register without having to sacrifice your tone and low-register. I've tried some lead-exercises like Squirts and stuff and those are all good but I feel my tone is sacrificed.
    So I try to play Schlossberg instead and try to push myself but it doesn't seem to help.
    Any experiences and thoughts?? Love to here Manny's thought about this??

Thanks you so much for all answers!!!
    //Axel Sjostedt, Sweden

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Axel,

It is only through development of a superior tone that that endurance and high register can be developed. Your ear has to have a very definite idea of what kind of trumpet sound you want to make. It is like buliding a statue of an elephant. You have a picture in your head of an elephant and then cut away that doesn't look like that!

There are no tricks or shortcuts. Your sound in the middle register must be beautiful, not just okay. Then you can "teach" the rest of your range to sound like that slowly, over time. Your body will obey your ear if you don't get in the way and try to make your body teach your ear.

Is there a recording that you can imitate and make your friends say "Wow! You sound EXACTLY like _______!" Make your ear into a tape recorder. Let your ear teach your face. Pitch and sound quality must be your guide in trumpet playing.

Squirts? I don't know what that is but it doesn't sound pleasant.

ML

3. axel_sjostedt

axel_sjostedt New Friend

May 4, 2005
    Great, thanks for your answer!!!
    It actually answered another question of mine too,
    why my endurance isn't getting any better when I practice etudes. My teacher is very much into etudes so I use to practice all Arban's etudes or Bach etudes for an hour just to get better endurance but that doesn't seem to get much better either.
    Why hasn't anyone told me that tone is so important, very irritated about that. "The tone comes itself when practising good"

Why can't one have you by your side when practising Manny!!!

Thanks again, perhaps you don't remember that I mailed you before. I haven't forgotten to mail back it's just that I'm trying to figure out how to take lessons from you, we have some friends in Minnesota so I'm discussing with them...I'll get back to you.
    I really want to take lessons from you because just by reading one of your Threads here makes me learn more than I've done in 5 years with my teachers.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Thank you for your kindness, Axel.

Hey, forget coming to Minnesota...instead, how about getting me to come to Sweden?!:D

ML

5. axel_sjostedt

axel_sjostedt New Friend

May 4, 2005
    Haha don't know how to answer that question!!!
    Of course you're welcome to Sweden and my door is open, have you ever been to Sweden??

Perhaps you know the Agnas-brothers?? They give a concert this saturday at the Royal Concert Hall. Just piano and trumpet!!

6. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    Urban and Joakim, THEY ROCK!