Developing Relative Pitch?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Snorglorf, Dec 5, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A piano or tuner is the best way to insure that your intonation will not improve. The well tempered intonation of a piano is a comprimise to be able to play in every key. The piano player cannot adjust single notes on the fly.
    Relative means just that. Each tone needs a "relation" to another. That means that the pitch of a note like an E is different depending if I am playing in the key of C, E, A.........
    I think it is important to get two players together and have them play different notes and LEARN that when they are in tune with one another that resonance gives us the confirmation.

2. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    I heard some good advice. Think of a random note and play it, if it doesn't match, try to get it to match. Just keeping thinking of playing random pitches and then play them, it helps a lot.

3. hornblatt

hornblatt Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2005
    DC area
    Try simple dictations first. if you have someone you can work with and a piano this will be easy. have someone else play a few harmonic intervals (two notes at the same time) and write down what you think the intervals are. start easy -- up to major thirds. work with intervals so that you get used to the sound of them and then add them into your dictation. then try melodic intervals (played one after another) and see if you can write the intervals and directions down. While you learn to hear intervals from a piano of other instrument you should also practice singing them. do the exact oposite of the dictation. Start off with a referance pitch and try singing intervals away from it. choose a different starting pitch, repeat. Sing up and down -- they are difficult in different ways. I'll promise you that this is the basis of any college level ear-training course. It's kind of hard to explain though so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Annie

4. *~K*M~*

*~K*M~* New Friend

Dec 10, 2008
    solfeggio is one of the best ways. and for me...one of the most fun ways. haha
    I recommend just sitting down at a piano and singing. This will help your interval recognition greatly. I recommend fixed do rather than moveable do.
    But this is just one of the many methods to developing relative pitch
    Good Luck!!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Mouthpiece buzzing is great for the ears and the horn. Get the Stamp book and work with a piano to check your pitch. Play scales, chords, tunes, and check with the piano to make sure you are spot on. With time, you can play longer phrases and still be in tune.