Developing your low range to increase you high range?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Double_G, Jun 16, 2005.

1. kevhall999

kevhall999 New Friend

Mar 2, 2010
    Lately, I have changed my embouchure to use more bottom lip (2/3 bottom, 1/3 top) and found that it gave my greater range and a fuller sound in the upper octaves.
    Hope this helps

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually double G probably never did get the pedals worked out - or the extreme upper register either. He would have posted any success..............

In any case, I have mixed feelings about old threads.If they are useless, should we delete them, or keep them archived to prove that the trumpet community is not getting smarter - even with the vast research resources that the internet offers............?

3. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Create an archive directory within each dedicated forum. After a designated period of inactivity, move threads to the archive and lock them. Stickies would, of course, be exempt. If someone wanted to re-open a discussion in an archived thread, they could paste a link to the locked thread, or petition the forum moderator to pull it out of the archive. Either way, it would take some effort to get an old thread going again.

4. Brass Orchid

Brass Orchid New Friend

Feb 9, 2011
    So, if someone wants to write about a subject like "Range" they shouldn't bother adding to an already developed thread? It is better to start a new one? Not to relate their thoughts to others? Create more dialog on the topic? You both read it, so now it's still active. Range is a perennial question/ issue for some, is it not? As to the "newbie" epithet, that's a great way to discourage anyone from entering in constructive dialog here. What are you two individuals' ideas on extending range? Have either of you tried to play Baritone or Bass Trumpet, or iis your concern simply to slap down whippersnappers who post in the "wrong place"? What is the search function for, if not to dig up discussions relevant to a question in order to avoid a nest of parallel threads?

5. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    I agree, people get slapped down for not doing searches, shouldn't slap 'em down for pulling up what they find (assuming it's relevant). I would hate to lose old threads just because they are old, lots of good information.

-Oops, never mind! I didn't realize he was answering a 5 year old question!

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    B O -

If someone wanted to talk about this thread they likely wouldn't have left it dead for 5 years. Its just a waste of time to reply to a 5 year old thread because in 5 years most of the original people are gone, and the people that are still here don't really have an interest in a thread buried for 5 years.

If you want to ask the same question, or share how low range helps your own high range that's cool. Its just pointless to answer someone's question that is long gone.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I suggest we start a "Zombie" thread forum where any thread/post over 2 years gets dumped. Sort of like a recycle bin. Lock the threads there and they can only be used for archival purposes.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think it's the former rather than the latter. I don't understand the post count "issue". Since I never see anyone in the chat room, the forum is the place to "talk". Does it boost my post count? Sure, but who really cares?

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    You are exactly right! I have noticed many times that new members - or even experienced members - bring up an old thread only to be bashed for it. The problem is that unless one is specifically looking at the date the thread started, which is easy to overlook since it is not on the thread index page, anyone can fall victim to the problem of searching a topic (we are all supposed to do this), finding a thread of interest, and posting a response or additional question - and then find that they are bashed for the effort.

I have often said that if the original date of the thread were visible on the thread index page, the inappropriate zombie threads would be far fewer.

But, there is also the point - well made by several - that simply because a thread is old does not mean it is irrelevant. Sometimes it deserves to be reactivated. One case in point is the thread that is currently active where members are encouraged to post video/audio clips of their playing. It was started over a year ago, fell inactive, and then brought back. I did not notice it the first time around - and others were not even members then - but this time I saw it and have enjoyed it immensely, as have many others here.

True, some of the threads are personal to the OP and don't warrant being resurrected. But, adding the original post date to the index page is a much easier fix than an archival system (hint-hint to the forum webmaster:thumbsup:).

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As I have played ALL the brass horns from picc to suzy except a C trumpet or flugelhorn, I concur that that the bass horns strengthen the blow of the treble horns.