Developing your low range to increase you high range?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Double_G, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Consordino

Consordino Pianissimo User

Mar 5, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hello all! By the by, does anyone have any suggestions for exercises or specific methods (Clarke's, Arban's, etc.) to strengthen the chops for playing picc or D/Eb? In all my years of playing, I have only just now come into a D/Eb, so I am now starting to learn it from the ground up. Thanks! Dan

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Re: Picc & D/Eb - Such is the same as you use (or should have used) to learn your other instruments. Of course, refreshers from the beginning are always to your advantage to practice.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The problem with the high pitched horns is almost never chops - it is mostly EARS. You buzz into the front and something unexpected comes out of the front. Pitch and tone color confuse the brain.

I recommend easy tunes in the staff until you are used to the new pitch/tone. Works with all of my students and reduces the noise pollution associated with players that thing that higher pitched horns are for playing higher.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    hey - I have done this myself (grab an old thread) -- you see the post-- (like this one) comes up on the "new posts" tab, and then it looks interesting -- I have responded to some without even looking at the date -- because after all it appeared in "new posts" -- so maybe it was/is an accident

5. Consordino

Consordino Pianissimo User

Mar 5, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thank you one and all for your input. Your insight is greatly appreciated!

Dan