DFW TrumpetFest -- Saturday 10/23/2004

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dcstep, Oct 12, 2004.

1. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    DFW TrumpetFest:

It’s almost here. Mark you calendars for Saturday after next, October 23, 2004. The show has something for everyone, thanks to the support of several manufacturers, dealers, pro players and devoted hobbyists.

Wayne Tanabe and Rich Szabo are coming the farthest. They’re coming in early for several reasons. One very important reason for their early arrival is so that Wayne will perform Precision Valve Alignments www.thebrassbow.com/PVA in his hotel room, during the show and after the show. Please email me at [email protected] to make arrangements to transform you trumpet. We’ve got several people scheduled already, but there’s still plenty of capacity. All you guys with vintage and collector horns that don’t play so perfectly owe it to yourself to try a PVA. For instance, most vintage Martin Committee trumpets will benefit greatly from a PVA, as will classic Kings, Conns, Selmers and, of course, Bach Strads.

Wayne and Rich will be showing their Chicago Brass Works Bb trumpets http://www.chicagobrassworks.com/default.htm . Among other things, the CBW trumpets feature rimless bells, sheathing of the leadpipe and carefully designed bracing. These are amongst the very best, most resonant trumpets I’ve ever played.

Wayne and Rich will each lead a one-hour information session or master’s class, depending on the interests of the attendees.

Yamaha Artist, John Holt, former principal trumpet with Dallas Opera Orchestra and current associate professor of trumpet at the University of North Texas http://www.music.unt.edu/bio/holt.shtml will lead a one-hour master’s class and demonstration of the new Yamaha “Chicago†C-trumpet designed by Bob Malone with the assistance of Chicago Symphony Orchestra trumpeters. The primary design goal was to match the famous “CSO Bachs†built for the symphony and still in use by the CSO. Anyone consider a C-trumpet HAS TO hear this demonstration.

Horn Haven www.hornhaven.com will sponsor a master’s class by Stomvi Artist Brian Swartz http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=1080 . Brian plays the Stomvi USA model trumpet. Anyone that tries a Stomvi trumpet at the Horn Haven table will receive a free demonstration CD of Stomvi trumpets. Horn Haven will have a full line of Stomvi trumpets on hand.

Kanstul will be displayed at Horn Haven, including such models as the Wayne Bergeron and the copper-belled flugels. Horn Haven will also have a full line of GR Mouthpieces and other accessories.

Getzen http://www.getzen.com/index.shtml will display its new Custom Series trumpets, cornets and flugels. Getzen is now back under control of the Getzen family. Brett Getzen kindly made the new horns available to us and looking forward to feedback from the DFW trumpet community. I’ve long thought that Getzen had the best made in USA cornets and I’m anxious to try their new trumpets.

Calicchio http://www.calicchio.com/ has moved to Tulsa and refocused on production and quality control. The Tulsa-built Calicchios that I played at ITG this year’s were excellent. Dave Johnson is bringing down a collection of trumpets for us to try.

Conn-Selmer is still up in the air at this writing; however, I suspect that they’ll provide a broad selection of Bach, Conn and King trumpets for us to try. Last year they had the most Bach C-trumpets that I had ever seen in one place.

There will be several private display tables with collections or select horns owned by attendees. Fill welcome to offer anything for sale. My Selmer Paris Concept TT will be available for trial playing (it’s NOT for sale, however). My old ProTec trumpet/flugel case would be for sale, but a cyber-buddy just bought it through www.trumpetherald.com . Still everyone should feel free to bring your personal horns for either display or sale. It’s up to you whether you let others try it (them).

Location: Please contact Dave Stephens at [email protected] for the exact location in Plano, TX.

2. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Zeus, Zeus, Zeus.

Oh Lordy, I inadvertently left them off the original post. I was trying to find out exactly what they'd bring to the show and I hadn't heard when I put out the notice.

Let's just say that there'll be a good selection thanks to one of their kind dealers, David McCune of <hyperlink>

Dave

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yer in it up to your ears now, Dave :oops:

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Yeah, the last thing I wanted to do is leave out an "up and coming" maker. Oh well, they now have more pub than I intended, so we're even. 8)

Dave

5. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Good news!

Conn-Selmer is sending four Henri Selmer Paris trumpets to the DFW TrumpetFest. Three Concept TTs and one Chorus 80J.

Dave

6. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    :shock: 8)

7. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Michael, more good news.

I just got word from Conn-Selmer that they need three tables, to display 24-26 trumpets!!

We're going to end up with well over 50 trumpets for you to try. Make sure your lips are rested.

Dave

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Think I'll go spend the day in a nice, quiet boiler factory. :shock:

9. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Good point! I'm not promising a quiet main room; however, we do have one or two "audition rooms" where you can try trumpets and actually hear yourself.

Dave

10. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I've been in a rush since the TrumpetFest, but I want to quickly thank everyone that supported it and attended it. I think that all the manufacturers, dealers and clinicians were pleased.

I was struck by four trumpets:

Getzen's Genisis Custom 3003 (Rick Braun artist model) floored me. Several of us kept going back to it. It had great balance and feel and it played with an incredible warmth. It was almost flugel-like, but without the characteristic "french-horn" sound of a flugel. It sounded like a trumpet with the high overtones greatly attentuated. I think of it as a "jazz horn", but boy oh boy is it nice. It's gone on my wish list.

Yamaha's 9445 Chicago-C makes me want to take up the C again and start playing in orchestras again. An old B-flatter like me could just pick it up and play it. The intonation, tone and projections was simply incredible. It is everything that Yamaha set out to accomplish. These horns come straight from Japan in condition. They don't go to Malone for a tweaking. This one came right out of the box and John Holt played it sight unseen. A few of us were lucky enough to give it a blow before John swooped in, claimed it and dissappeared into the Texas night. What a horn. This is one I'll buy and find a reason why I need it later!!.

The Concept TT courtesy of Conn Selmer, keeps blowing me away. This is another one that people kept coming back to over and over.

Kanstul's Wayne Bergeron is one of the best lead trumpets out there. It's got a little compression and nice big sound in the money registers, but when it screams it really opens up. I can play up to G over high C, but I listen to several guys with much more range than I play the WB and it has a fantastic upper register.

Extended reviews to come...

Despite my move to Denver, I think I've got a line on someone to help with next year's DFW TrumpetFest. If that works out, it'll be fantastic and more than worth a trip back for me. You guys will love the venue. If we can add Lawler, Blackburn and a few others, we'll have a really great event. Oh, attendance doubled from last year's fifty, to 100+. There's was around $5000 of commerce done on site, including a private sale or two. That's not my main objective, but it makes it worthwhile for dealers and manufacturers to support us.

Dave