diabetes and trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by screamingmorris, May 25, 2008.

1. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    For 12 years I have had diabetes, one of the most common illnesses in America.

It is well-known that diabetes destroys the tiny blood vessels in the body, such as in the feet and in the eyes and in the heart.

Does diabetes also adversely effect the blood vessels in the embouchure?

After I play for a few minutes I get a burning in my emboucure.
    I do not know if it is just that same old muscle burn that weight-lifters feel upon over-exertion, or if the burn is due to diabetes reducing the blood flow to my embouchure.

Considering how common diabetes is in America, the chances are that many posters in Trumpet Master have diabetes and this topic could be of interest to them.

- Morris

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I also belong to this club (type 2), but we caught it early and I was able to adjust my diet (lost 22 pounds in 12 weeks) to get my sugar levels reasonable. Important is the combination of diabetes AND high blood pressure - that is very bad news!

I have none of the burning sensations, but I am sure we have 2 types of docs here at the forum: "doom and gloom" and "go out and do the right thing". Let's see what they have to report!

3. Newguy

Newguy Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2008
    Pittsburgh Area
    OK, how did you lose 22 lbs in 12 wks?? I'd like to do that! Hey, I could stand to do double that!! What kind of diet did you use?

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! Me too.

OLDLOU>>

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There is a famous German diet--"F.D.H." that offers such weight loss without pills or extra exercise.. I'm sure Rowuk can explain.

6. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I also am afflicted with a mild case of type 2. A couple of years ago I got a blood test to verify my symptoms and obtained coverage from the VA. I studied up on the Glycemic index and devised my own diet from that, tried to reform my eating habits and stick with it. I lost 50-60 lbs in about a year or so and have tried to keep it going as much as possible. I don't have any diabetic presence that the doctors can find, but have the feet and calf tingling and weird feelings. That went back more years, when I developed a staph infrection in my leg and the doctors thought I was Border line diabetic, if there is actually such a term.

That disipline is hard to keep to, especially when we had a sumptuous Memorial cook out today.:-(

I played with OldLou yesterday. He doesn't look that bad, for a big Dutchman!:-)

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I played with OldLou yesterday. He doesn't look that bad, for a big Dutchman!:-)[/QUOTE]

Dave drove up to Grand Haven.Mi. from Kalamazoo,Mi. to sit in with the Prevailing Winds Concert Band, where I am principal trumpet, assisted on the first trumpet part by a spectacularly talented 13 year old girl with braces on her teeth. This, in an 8 trumpet section, within a 47 piece band. Dave proclaimed us to have very good potential. He plays in a 100 piece band at Kalamazoo.

OLDLOU>>

8. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    My vote is that it would be diabetes because I occansionally get the same thing. ( I was diagnosed with Type 2 four years ago)

I find that I have to be especially careful about what I eat up to 24 hours prior to rehearsal. I have rehearsal tonight. Yesterday was Memorial Day here in the states, so I cheated a bit. BBQ ribs thick with BBQ sauce, baked beans and a beer. (as in ONE beer...don't dare do more than one these days). I am going to pay for that tonight!

Even when I don't cheat, I have learned to "listen" to my body. When my hands and feet are tingling I know that I have to be extra careful warming up. My warm up is simpler and more time consuming than other times. For example, had I not cheated on my diet yesterday I would probably warm up for about 5 minutes or so for rehearsal tonight. But I did cheat :duh: and will probably need 15 or 20 minutes to warm up (simple scale for 3-4 minutes, 3 minute rest, chromatics 3-4 minutes, 3 minnute rest etc etc.)

All that said, it really does not seem to affect my playing as long as I am consious of the fact that I need to manage my diabetes AND my playing at the same time!

9. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    First...to the notion of lip muscle burning/diabetes... if I am totally honest, yes, I've experienced it. However, the more I'm in shape, the less this happens. There is another oddity...don't ask me why...but smiling a bit more when playing (I know...weird) seems to help. Again...this is more so if I've been playing consistently.

I've never heard anyone mention this in conjunction with diabetes...so, yes, it struck me when I read it. I just tried to pawn it off on just a weird thing that would happen from time to time. I hope that's "really" what it is and not what you all are suggesting. I can play...it's just that I notice that same thing.

As for the weight loss....I have also lost about 20 lbs in a little over a month. Now...about half of this...is attributed to the diabetes (check the symptoms of this disease...one being unexplained weight loss). Still...the easiest and most efficient (without that "being hungry all the time" feeling) is to adopt a low carb diet. The simple version is... start with monitoring and eating only 20 carbs a day for 2 weeks. Eat as much as you want of things...just keep the carb total to 20. This kick starts your system in to the fat burning phase. Then...you can start bumping it up to 30-40 per day there after... Watching carbs also helps the sugar intake (and things that turn "into" sugar)..so is pretty good for your diabetes watching also.

There is a pretty interesting site about a "similar" type of diet which I tend to agree with... Paleolithic Diet Page (Paleo Diet, Caveman Diet, Hunter/Gatherer Diet)

and a concise introduction/synopsis is: INTRODUCTION TO THE PALEOLITHIC DIET

I am NOT a doctor...nor have played one on TV. ha. I just know the low carb style diet drops lbs and is an instant go to when/if I want to cut back. Since being diagnosed with diabetes (type II), it seems to fit those requirements also. Still...this is not meant to be medical advice...just personal advice. Read up...discuss with your doctor...you decide.

As for trumpet playing...support with your air...work on that...practice...be prepared...and you'll make it through the lip muscle burn! haha. Low notes are a joy....

10. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Thanks for posting all that interesting and very valuable analysis of your condition, which has some relevance for many of us sufferers. I never have had any lip sensations like that, other than fatique:-) I didn't do too well at our family cook out Sunday, either! You do have to be cognizant of your particular dietary "balance", which is not easy to do consistenty, over years! I bet those ribs were great:D