diagnosis...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by edcon1981, Nov 3, 2008.

1. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    So yesterday was a pretty rough rehearsal... the drum line kept on asking the horn line to play certain songs over and over again to the point where i was ready to go home, and these are pretty tough songs (you know, quick march beats with not a single note below the third f). :evil:

the drum major knows that as the lead i can only play some of these songs "x" amount of times before my lips are gone, and to add to this i had no back-up, AND i had a toothache. the problem came when towards the end of rehearsal i could not keep my lips together. i would actually feel the right edge of my upper lip slip out from being tucked inside my mouth whenever i tried to play a note past third a. naturally air follows the path of least resistance so once my muscles gave out my lungs emptied out into the atmosphere. :shock:

this is the first time this happened... anyone ever experience this? is there something i can do to prevent this? :dontknow: Please help!!!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    It's REHEARSAL!!

Can't you take it down an octave??

I would blow my lips out in rehearsal.

-cw-

3. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    normally my back up and i would swap that. i'd take high, he'd take it down and vice versa; but they wanted me "up there". after i blew out my lip you bet your a$$ i took it down an octave.

but i take it that'll happen? i mean, i guess after three and a half hours anything goes... this was just a first.

lol, i just wish one of the six seconds we have would step up and help me and the only other first out.

4. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Welcome to the world of playing trumpet! No, they will never understand what we go through. I used to think that if they were former brass players, they would have empathy - but some of them are the least understanding.

My policy is to consider that I am the only one in charge of my chops. I am the only one who knows how I am feeling, and in what ways I need to conserve strength! Play it down an octave, softer or just drop out for a little while to let the blood come back into your lips.

They should be glad that they have you - that no matter what happens in rehearsal, you will figure out how to bring it at the performance.

I loved/hated my years in marching band. Fortunately, it was only 5.

5. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    oh i'm well versed in the world of marching, i did it in high school for six years! this is an alumni d and b corps that i'm in... which probably makes my case that much more ridiculous!!

but you're right, no organization is worth me ruining my chops over.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I've seen this all to often in marching bands. By the time you said you felt the muscles go, you were well past the point of stopping. I hope you didn't bruise or injure your lips. what you described is unreasonable demands for a trumpet player at your level. what you experienced is normal and expected. I suggest several things you can tell the leader. Point to your mpc and say "this is a piece of metal", point to your lips and say "this is flesh and blood" I'm done for the day! If they expect to rehearse like that, they need more than 1 player on the part so you can spell each other. The big shows like the Holiday on Ice and Ringling Bros Barniumn and Bailey Circus always used two lead players and they swapped every phrase or repeat! for the trumpet heavy music of a marching band they really need four 1st. Please be careful, I've seen some players really hurt themselves.

Are you playing a "lead" mpc?

Bob G

7. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    well my lips were fine last night when i picked up the horn, my range and intonation didn't change so i guess i didn't hurt myself. i'll have to tell them the steel vs flesh line. that should drive the point home.

um... what's a lead mouthpiece? i currently play a bach 3c and am looking for an 11dw. i have "fleshy lips" and could use the help in the upper register. is there a specific mouthpiece i could be using to help me with the lead?

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The 3C is a good mpc. A lead mpc is a mpc with a cup diameter, depth and backbore to produce a brighter sound. In order to get edge in your sound you have to "overblow". In effect, to put enough air volume and air speed to push the limit of how much air the mpc will take before it starts to "back up". when you reach that limit the mpc will get some edge. In a jazz band or marching band setting a bright sound will project more than a dark sound with less effort increasing stamana. What works is a personal decision. But a shallower cup will give a brighter sound with less effort. Stork, Schilke, yamaha and Curry are a few that make a stock "lead" mpc. Do you have a music store that carries some of these brands. remeber it can take up to two weeks to adjust to a new mpc. I would start with thw ones that work for you. If it doesn't work for you, don't force it. Do you have a local trumpet teacher who knows about lead mpcs and can give you some personal advice. this is the best way to go! remeber not all trumpet teachers know about lead mpcs. good luck. know how it turns put.

Bob G

9. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    It won't be the last time! Don't worry. You overdid it. Your chops will be back just fine. Take it easy for a day or so.

And brush your teeth twice a day....and don't forget to floss!

10. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    unfortunately any stores in my area are student only stores. hell i'm having a hard enough time as it is trying to find synthetic valve oil. i'll keep an eye out for those brands of mouthpieces... trust me had i seen a mouthpiece that said "lead" on it i probably would have bought it on the spot. can you refer one over another?

the bach 11dw mpc is listed as a wide rimmed, medium to shallow cup, and is described as: Players with thick, fleshy lips, especially those who can not rely on the strength of their lip muscles, can use this cushion rim mouthpiece to advantage. Produces crisp, easy top tones.

what do you think?

brush my teeth?! who does that anymore?!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008