Dialing things in - You and/or the Hardware

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I was told by a German tech that trumpeters will purchase all kinds of wild-promising accessories as long as they cost less than $50. Mea culpa!

For what it's worth, I've found that Mark Curry's accessories do what he says they do. It isn't always an improvement (the better slotting from his CCAPS didn't do anything for my E3L) but I really like his Monster Sleeves. The sound feels as if it has more core and the sound is darker by about one cup depth. Multiple tonguing is cleaner as well.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    To me, having confidence and the right mind set as you head into a venue maximizes the performance. All I ask for out of my horns is that the valves keep up with my fingers. This is more a demand on the performance of my valve oil (and an appropriately clean horn) not matter which brand or type of instrument I use. The rest is all up to me.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Which is why you have 4 trumpets to choose from? I only have one.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I let the trumpet maker make the trumpet and I play it. I play a Monette because I think he makes the best trumpet for me. I still have second thoughts about the mouthpiece. Maybe a different size?

Our bodies are constantly changing. I think when things start to feel different we tend to look at the trumpet for answers. We should look at ourself. What has changed? Our body? The way we practice? If we get better, we don't change equipment? If the equipment was working and then stops, either it's defective and we have to put it back where it should be or, it's us and we have to find where we went wrong.

If everything is working well and we want to look for something a little easier, maybe that's the time to tweak or change equipment.

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Wow, you lost me at, well, the second paragraph. These things are foreign to me. I don't pay much attention to the equipment (once I have what I like) and I guess I am not good enough to see a difference like that. I find that now I have been playing more and I am therefore able to do more of what I'm trying to do, in fact, I am playing like I never did before. That is with the Getzen Eterna 900 and a Bach 7cw mp. It feels right.

Again, I wouldn't say any of what you are dealing with is wrong, because I think equipment matters, definitely, but these technicalities are out of my scope.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That's because my equipment is so much better than yours:-P

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I can easily disprove that. I will play your horn, and you play mine. And still, you will sound better. Any questions?

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I know this: if I player of Rowuk's caliber and ability does some of this stuff, then it's not just gimmicks, hocus pocus, mumbo jumbo, etc.

My first experience with it came back in the late 90s when a friend of mine, also a custom mouthpiece maker, dialed in the gap on my mouthpiece by putting it on his lathe and taking the taper down just slightly so it would seat deeper in the receiver. It was such a big and sudden improvement to that particular setup, I was blown away that such as small thing could have such a big impact.

The next big experience with it came at a gig one night. This was prior to my purchase of my Schilke B6, and I felt I was working too hard to get the right kind of sound for that particular setup. I'd bought a set of Bach brand heavy valve caps for my Strad, and someone suggested that I might be able to bring some pep back to the sound by switching back to the normal weight caps. While the sound may have brightened up, the lack of focus and security wasn't something I wanted to deal with, and I actually walked off the bandstand in the middle of the first set during a song I wasn't playing on to go get the heavier ones and put them back on.

Oddly enough though, I don't tend to like heavier caps on my Schilke, at least not playing with the party band - to me it changes the feel of the blow in a detrimental way, but they seem to help when I'm gearing up to play legit stuff.

But again, at what point do we stop worrying about the little stuff? The small things do help, but we can certainly get by without them.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What makes you think I am talking about horns?:think:

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    uh, just a guess, I suppose. :shock:
    I know, I'll let you use all my brushes and paint supplies, and then you paint a painting, then I'll go and do your rounds at the hospital, and see how that works out. Yeah, that's the ticket.