Diaphragm Vibrato

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mrcomixmaster, May 8, 2013.

1. mrcomixmaster

mrcomixmaster New Friend

Mar 30, 2013
    California
    Hi everyone, I'm new to trumpetmaster and also a high schooler.

I'm torn between doing the wrong vibrato method or right vibrato method. When I started doing vibrato, I always used my diaphragm, and well it sounded good. I felt pretty in-control of the sound and the length of the vibrato or however you describe it. But, I see now that using one's diaphragm is the wrong way, but i just don't feel the control or the natural-ness by doing it any other way. Does anyone think I can get away with using my diaphragm for all my vibrato needs? Or is it absolutely mandatory to use a more proper method :(

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I do not understand what you mean by "right" and "wrong" form of vibrato. What makes one form "wrong", particularly using the diaphram, and what caused you to say "I see now that using one's diaphragm is the wrong way"?

See here for somebody from the UK Philharmonia orchestra describing two different forms of vibrato:
    Philharmonia Orchestra: The Sound Exchange: The Orchestra: Instruments: Discover The Trumpet: Vibrato

...and another here from Ben Harrison:
    Extended Trumpet Techniques Vibrato - YouTube

--bumblebee

3. mrcomixmaster

mrcomixmaster New Friend

Mar 30, 2013
    California
    Thank you for those links bumblebee! As I was browsing the forums, I read many people saying that diaphragm vibrato messes with your air too much and shouldn't be used. Some say its an immature technique...that's why i asked the question, because diaphragm vibrato feels so natural to me, although some say this type shouldn't be used. I just don't have good control with hand vibrato or lip vibrato. Thanks again bumblebee!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When I was a child during WWII playing soldier I had my machine gun sound in my voice. Such is my vibrato today.

5. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Immature technique? From the standpoint of it being done well, it is arguably a highly mature method, particularly in singing. A good diaphram or abdominal vibrato takes significant time and practice to achieve.

6. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Hand vibrato is the best and you should learn it.

Advantages of hand vibrato-

It is easier to control.

The air stream should be constant with the vibrato being added to the steady stream of air.

Learning to use hand vibrato is the first step to learning how to play shakes, which is just an extension of hand vibrato.

Hand vibrato can more easily be turned on and off at will.

7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Hand vibrato is just one way, not the best way. Vibrato can be required on all brass instruments, shaking the hand playing a tuba is not quite so easy.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The right vibrato method is playing the horn, and getting vibrato to come out the bell end.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not when you get the Gustat Heim G2 mouthpiece. This has absolutely changed the way I can best get vibrato out, and man it is now effortless. Now my lip can do all the work.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Note to OP... Starting out a thread titled Diaphragm Vibrato did peak my professional interest as a physician.