Diaphragm Vibrato

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mrcomixmaster, May 8, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Help... someone help me... more and more... I am agreeing with Rapier.... I even am digging the sound of the Eclipse... and Kendall is part the blame for that. What have the English done to my mind!!!

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I've always used that type vibrato. It was the only thing I didn't have to change about my playing when I started lessons in college. (U of Minn., Steve Chenette).

3. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    If this were a tuba, horn, or euphonium page I would recommend a lip or jaw vibrato.

If it were a trombone page, I would have recommended a slide vibrato.

Because this is a trumpet page I would still recommend a hand vibrato.

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Whatever works best is best. Don't mess with success.

5. mrcomixmaster

mrcomixmaster New Friend

Mar 30, 2013
    California
    Thanks for the feedback guys! My conclusion...learn all three types of vibrato and try to make the right sound come out

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Maybe it boils down to what you can control best? I remember in my early teens having slight vibrato from my diaphragm which was there all the time. I had to eliminate it because I just couldn't blow "straight" or for that matter increase the amount of vibrato when needed. Hand vibrato provides heaps of control although for me it feels like lip vibrato sounds better.

tj

7. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Try this, get up on a C, E, G or whatever above the staff hit it LOUD, use about 7/8 of your stored air and bring it down to a PP and try vibrato from air then lips. As your trying this vibrato bring the volume back up. How did that work for ya ? This is a normal performance situation... you are thinking about many things and forget to take a full breath, right !! Now do the same thing with your hand. My personal choice is always hand. I don’t care to mess with my air and “Set”. To me it doesn't matter where I am in or out of the staff or how much or little air I have, the hand vibrato is always 100% there. I can use all three but prefer the hand only because the notes are so close together up there and your air is moving very fast, air or lips don’t provide enough control in this situation…. In the lower registers I also like using my hand, only because I don’t like messing with a good “Set” . If air or lip vibrato’s work for you that’s great, remember to always play smart !! :cool:

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Can anyone explain to me what diaphragm vibrato is?

I really want to know.

9. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    I'm pretty sure the diaphragm is an involuntary muscle. We do not have control over our involuntary systems. Just breath in and out and the diaphragm will take care of itself.

10. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    There is a 4th mechanics for vibrato also that is produced in the back of the throat in the vocal cord area. I can’t explain how to do it though. Maybe someone else on here can… It works well in the low / middle register and has an interesting effect kind of sounding like the vibrato a Leslie from an organ produces. It’s very easy to control. I rarely if ever use it but it is another tool for the toolbox : )