Diaphragmatic Breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by johnMak, Feb 27, 2009.

1. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
    I just spent some time in SEARCH mode and found some threads on breathing and tension, tension, tension. I'm looking for threads and posts that talk about the steps to this form of breathing...

though search does bring up breathing...It doesn't (as yet...) show me what I'm lookin for. I've been told and others in the forum have been told the same thing "...that question AGAIN?" Some threads are long and lots of reading just to get the info, if its actually covered in THAT thread.

I'll search some more and even go off site and google the topic. I'll find what I'm looking for eventually...or I can ask the forum and see the responses I get.

2. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts

Are you sure you want to search for this? Tension?

Pete

3. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
    The type of breathing I'm searching for is the title of my post...

Diaphragmatic Breathing...

but all I find is the posts on breathing and tension etc...NOT what I'm looking for.

I'm finding what I need offsite. Using the diaphram for the sourse of breathing. etc... How this helps in trumpet playing...

Thank you

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Look into buying the book by Luis Loubriel entitled "Lasting Change for Trumpeters". It reveals the approach of Arnold Jacobs as applied to trumpet. The book is also edited by Manny Laureano. Jacobs was the king of breathing and a good read will help you immensly.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    There is no such thing as diaphramtic breathing. The diaphragm does not work that way.

All the choir directors and uninformed band teachers should be ashamed for saying "Use your diaphragm" to support the sound.

When we inhale, the diaphragm
    pulls downward and the chest cavity expands,
    pulling oxygen-rich air in through our nose
    and/or mouth, down through the
    trachea (a
    tube connecting the mouth/nose with the
    lungs), and into the
    lungs, where the oxygen
    and carbon dioxide exchange takes place.
    When we exhale, the diaphragm relaxes, the
    chest cavity collapses, and the carbon
    dioxide-rich air is pushed from the lungs,
    through the trachea, and out through the

nose and/or mouth.

You cannot support the air flow OUT with your diaphragm as it is relaxing when we exhale.

6. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    That's for sure!

Pete

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    If you want to learn how air inside a human can make sound coming out of a human, May I suggest talking to an opera master. A. Boccelli would be a good place to start.

8. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    I'm not A. Boccelli, But from my understanding of anatomy, you can't breath without your diaphragm. You explained it well Solar Bell, the muscles of the Diaphragm cause your lungs to inflate / deflate. The lungs are just the bellows that hold the air and transfer the O2, the Plural walls incase the lungs....no muscles here...The Diaphragm , when trained, compresses the air for us trumpet players. Breathing from the diaphragm is a true statement ! Watch a baby breath !!

Hoghorn

9. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    just squeez ya but cheek's, there's your tension.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    Schwab likes this.
  10. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    This should solve this debate. It is a lot of text but you should all find the answers deep within. I recommend reading it in its entirety. Thank you Arnold Jacobs!

Page Not Found