Did any of the greats not start out so great?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMonk, Apr 13, 2012.

1. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    This is more for inspiration than anything, but did any professionals that you know of start out not so good? Maybe taking longer than average to get really good? We know of the people that started playing professionally in their teens but are their any mortals out there? lol

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    We all started out squeezing our butts to get the middle space C out when we started. We all progressed to be better players, we all get better everyday. Do you think Dizzy wanted to be a pro trumpet player, of course. Do you think his first note was a DHC? I dont think so. We all came from knowing nothing about the trumpet to knowing all we know today.

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Miles Davis had a hard time starting out. It took him a while to even be recognized as a competent trumpet player.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I'm not sure about Jazz players. Bix Bedeirbecke didn't start until very late but he is atypical by many counts.
    I heard that Raymond Sabarich (Maurice Andre's teacher at the conservatory) had a very limited upper register even while studying himself at the SUperior Conservatory. I heard Wynton played his first Haydn at 14 after 7 years of study and that it was by far not his best performance of the piece.

I'm not sure that kind of question is useful. So what if we're not going to be among "the great" (a subjective notion too). There are very few of them. Doesn't mean that the rest of us can't play music, or even have good careers as professional musicians for some. Greatness is earned only to an extent. It requires natural talent, sustained hard work, sacrifices, a certain attitude and a good bit of favorable circumstances. Only one missing factor will drop you one notch or more below "greatness." Some of these factors are directly under your control, some less so. Work on the ones you can control, the rest is, well, out of your control.

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    In a documentary about Wynton Marsalis his high school teacher said that he was not a great player. Wynton made up for it with work and will power. That is something that I find to be very comforting.

6. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    I think it's a valid question. It seems so many of the great ones started playing at 7 years old and were way ahead of their peers in HS. The OP is just asking if a person not innately inclined musically and more specifically to a trumpet, does he really have a shot at going somewhere with it? Or one could ask, If I work really hard can I honestly compete with those it comes natural to? The movie Gattica comes to mind.

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I would say that this is better formulated, more specific question, that leaves the subjective "greatness" out. Probably the answer is yes. There are numerous stories of highly gifted kids for whom it comes easy and hardly have to do any work. They often loose interest or find when hitting that level where it becomes impossible to get away without work that they'd rather do something else and miss that boat.
    Of the factors that I listed earlier, only natural talent is totally out of one's control. If diligence is applied consistently over years to all others, I'm sure that a good outcome is possible.

8. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    There was BOHUMIR KRYL, now the story goes, that one day young Mr. Kryl was taking a lesson in Chicago and the teacher said to him, Mr. Kryl, when you walk home tonight don't you have to go over by part of Lake Michigan and Bohumir said yes sir, I do. His teacher preceded to say when you get out by the lake I wish you would do yourself, me and the entire world a big favor, and Bohumir Kryl said what's that sir ? His teacher said, when you get out by Lake Michigan you take that horn out of it's case and throw it as far into Lake Michigan as you possibly can, because you will never be a cornet player !
    As we know now, Bohumir Kryl became one of the greatest players of all time.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Just another thought here ----Phil Driscoll, and Doc Severinsen, and Maynard Ferguson (the ones that I have followed through the years --and won ALL THE AWARDS by the time they were 17 or so, -so to speak) ------------BUT, the logic is always this, ARE they great because they were talented ---- OR are they great because they all worked very hard, and that resulted in more gigs, awards, and recognition and such -- which obviously put more demand on them and their playing skills -----HEY, if more is expected of you, I think you either EXCEL, or FAIL.
    I am just saying --- each of the above players were always KNOWN for their work ethic (practicing multiple hours - like 4, 5, or 6 hours+) --- each day, everyday.
    I think players -- to a great extent -- BUILD THEMSELVES ---- practice, demands, and also your mental outlook ------c'mon, if I had more demand on my musical abilities on the trumpet -- I would definitely practice more, to meet those demands --- WOULDN'T YOU DO THAT ALSO????????

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If I ever get great... I'll let you know...